Bere Regis Village website
Between 1830 and 1939 various trade directories were printed every few years. They detail the gentry as well as traders in the village. The period covered coincides with a time when many shops were operating in the village. At the height of commercial activity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, there were between fifteen and twenty shops of all kinds. Today there are just three including the Post Office.

Pigot's 1830 Description of Bere Regis

"Is a village and parish in the hundred of its name, 12 miles from London, and 8 from Blandford. Its name is derived from the small river Beer, upon which it is seated; and from its having been anciently a royal demesne. Queen Elfrida had a seat here, to which she retired immediately after the murder of her son-in-law, Edward the Martyr. This place had the charter of a market granted to it by King John, and was constituted a borough by Edward 1. It may hence be supposed that Beer was of more importance in those days than at present, for it is now so inconsiderable that the market has fallen into disuse. The inhabitants are mostly employed in agriculture, and the cutting of wood for making faggots ; the country around here being more rich in wood than any other part in the south of Devon. The parish church is a small edifice; the living is a vicarage, of which the Rev. Carrington Ley is the incumbent. Here are two meeting-houses for dissenters, and an endowed school for educating and clothing eight boys. A fair is held at Woodbury hill, about half a mile distant, on the 18th of September and three following days. The parish of Beer-Regis, including the tything of Shy-Herton, contained by the last returns, 1,080 inhabitants." GENTRY & CLERGY Rev Thomas Burgess Barker William Brewer, esq., Milborne John Stanley Wanley Sawbridge Erle Drax, esq., Charborough Park Mr Frampton, esq., Moreton Rev Carrington Ley (vicar) Rev George Pickhard, Bloxworth Thomas Pickhard, esq., Bloxworth House Morton Pleydell, esq., Watcombe PUBLIC HOUSES Drax's Arms, James Kitcat Royal Oak, John Casher SHOPKEEPERS & TRADERS James Bryer Ash, carpenter John Battrick, shoemaker William L. Bellows, shopkeeper William Biles, smith Joseph Brydle, tailor and draper Peter Case, linen draper Joseph Clinch, tailor Joshua Gallop, grocer & Henry Gaulton, cabinet maker John Gould, grocer and confectioner Edward Hibbs, smith Edward Hibbs, linen draper Robert Hoare, bricklayer Giles Homer, tin-plate worker Henry House, carpenter Thomas Lane, tailor William Lane, shoemaker Benjamin Whitehead Lewis, grocer, draper, and spirit merchant William Northover, painter &c Thomas Nott, surgeon James Rossiter, miller, Beer Marsh John Shave, saddler &c Francis Shepherd, painter & glazier Thomas Shepherd, bricklayer Robert Strand, miller Ann Vincent, shopkeeper John Vincent, bricklayer William White, cooper John Winshall, carpenter James Winsor, ironmonger John Woolfreys, shoemaker

Village Trade Directories 1830 -

1939

© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.
Search:

Village Trade Directories 1830 -

1939

Bere Regis Village Website
Between 1830 and 1939 various trade directories were printed every few years. They detail the gentry as well as traders in the village. The period covered coincides with a time when many shops were operating in the village. At the height of commercial activity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, there were between fifteen and twenty shops of all kinds. Today there are just three including the Post Office.

Pigot's 1830 Description of Bere Regis

"Is a village and parish in the hundred of its name, 12 miles from London, and 8 from Blandford. Its name is derived from the small river Beer, upon which it is seated; and from its having been anciently a royal demesne. Queen Elfrida had a seat here, to which she retired immediately after the murder of her son-in-law, Edward the Martyr. This place had the charter of a market granted to it by King John, and was constituted a borough by Edward 1. It may hence be supposed that Beer was of more importance in those days than at present, for it is now so inconsiderable that the market has fallen into disuse. The inhabitants are mostly employed in agriculture, and the cutting of wood for making faggots ; the country around here being more rich in wood than any other part in the south of Devon. The parish church is a small edifice; the living is a vicarage, of which the Rev. Carrington Ley is the incumbent. Here are two meeting- houses for dissenters, and an endowed school for educating and clothing eight boys. A fair is held at Woodbury hill, about half a mile distant, on the 18th of September and three following days. The parish of Beer-Regis, including the tything of Shy-Herton, contained by the last returns, 1,080 inhabitants." GENTRY & CLERGY Rev Thomas Burgess Barker William Brewer, esq., Milborne John Stanley Wanley Sawbridge Erle Drax, esq., Charborough Park Mr Frampton, esq., Moreton Rev Carrington Ley (vicar) Rev George Pickhard, Bloxworth Thomas Pickhard, esq., Bloxworth House Morton Pleydell, esq., Watcombe PUBLIC HOUSES Drax's Arms, James Kitcat Royal Oak, John Casher SHOPKEEPERS & TRADERS James Bryer Ash, carpenter John Battrick, shoemaker William L. Bellows, shopkeeper William Biles, smith Joseph Brydle, tailor and draper Peter Case, linen draper Joseph Clinch, tailor Joshua Gallop, grocer & Henry Gaulton, cabinet maker John Gould, grocer and confectioner Edward Hibbs, smith Edward Hibbs, linen draper Robert Hoare, bricklayer Giles Homer, tin-plate worker Henry House, carpenter Thomas Lane, tailor William Lane, shoemaker Benjamin Whitehead Lewis, grocer, draper, and spirit merchant William Northover, painter &c Thomas Nott, surgeon James Rossiter, miller, Beer Marsh John Shave, saddler &c Francis Shepherd, painter & glazier Thomas Shepherd, bricklayer Robert Strand, miller Ann Vincent, shopkeeper John Vincent, bricklayer William White, cooper John Winshall, carpenter James Winsor, ironmonger John Woolfreys, shoemaker
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.