© Bere Regis Village  2003  -  2017

Historical Paintings &

Drawings of the Village

Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website
Click / tap image for a larger view Click / tap yellow circle for a larger view All large images appear in a new tab
Bere Regis (1925) Watercolour by Walter Tyndale RI (1856 - 1943) Bere Regis (1925) Watercolour by Walter Tyndale RI (1856 - 1943) Old Manor Court (Hutchins History of Dorset, 1861) L L L
This   fine   view   is   dated   1768,   and   is   by   the   London-born   topographical   painter   William   Tomkins.   Tomkins   also   painted   occasional animal   pictures   and   still-lives,   but   he   is   best   known   for   being   one   of   the   first   generation   of   English   painters   of   the   picturesque   view.   His   style   is   a development   of   the   earlier   "bird's   eye"   view   tradition   of   landscape   painting,   and   uses   a   lower   point   of   view   where   the   emphasis   is   on   strict topographical   accuracy.   His   paintings   are   therefore   of   the   utmost   historical   interest,   and   are   seldom   sullied   by   the   "romanticisation"   of   the succeeding generation of English landscape painters who placed considerations of composition ahead of literal accuracy. Tomkins   was   an Associate   of   the   Royal Academy   of Arts   in   London,   but   seems to   have   been   itinerant   throughout   the   whole   British   Isles.   Paintings   by   him   from places   as   far   apart   as   Cornwall   and   the   Highlands   of   Scotland   were   abundantly exhibited   at   the   Royal Academy   and   the   Society   of Artists,   though   he   seems   to have   had   a   penchant   for   painting   in   the   West   Country.   Numerous   views   of   the area   are   known,   including   a   view   of   Plympton   (RA   1780)   and   a   set   of   four views   of   Tapeley   Park,   all   of   which   were   with   Lane   Fine   Art   in   the   last   five years.   He   seems   to   have   been   patronised   by   the   highest   levels   of   local   society, and   is   recorded   working   for   Lord   Clifford   (1772)   Viscount   Lisburne   (1773) Joseph   Parker   at   Saltram   (1772,   now   National   Trust),   Sir   Charles   Kyme   Tynte (1771)   and   Henry   Luttrell   at   Dunster   (1773)   and   many   other   major   landowners. He    emerges    as    one    of    the    most    favoured    painters    of    landscapes    and Gentlemen's Seats of the 18th century. Chamberlain's   Mill   was   an   early   water   driven   mill   of   a   type   which   existed   in   many   English   villages   well   into   the   nineteenth   century,   when   they were   gradually   replaced   by   industrialised   steam   driven   engines   for   grinding   corn.   It   was   located   just   outside   the   picturesque   village   of   Bere Regis. A   few   working   examples   still   exist,   for   instance,   one   at   Mapledurham   belonging   to   the   Eyston   family.   The   Chamberlain   family,   owners   of this mill, were ancestors of the Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain.
Chamberlain's Mill (1768) by William Tomkins ARA (1730-1792) L Manor Court Farm (1786) by J B Knight L Woodbury Hill Fort (1724 Engraving) L
This   Drawing   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and managed     by     the     Dorset     Natural     History     &    Archaeological     Society     (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be    ordered    from    the    Museum,    by contacting them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis (1904) by Charles George Harper, from the H F V Johnstone Collection L Church Interior (1906) by by Walter Tyndale RI (1856 - 1943) L Village from the East by unknown Artist L © Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society L Church from the North East by unknown Artist (circa 1774) L Bere Regis - the Kingsbere of Tess of the D'Urbervilles, by EJ Maybery (1887 - 1964) L
This Drawing is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum, by contacting them here, or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis (1904) by Charles George Harper, from the H F V Johnstone Collection L
This Drawing is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum, by contacting them here, or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis from the H F V Johnstone Collection L
This Drawing is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum, by contacting them here, or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church Turberville Window (1904), by Charles George Harper, from the H F V Johnstone Collection L
This Drawing is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum, by contacting them here, or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church Interior (1904), by Charles George Harper, from the H F V Johnstone Collection L A Byway near Bere Regis, by Frederick Pegram RI in 1923 Published as part of his book, 'The Hardy Country - literary Landmarks of the Wessex Novels' L
© Bere Regis Village  2003  -  2017

Historical Paintings &

Drawings of the Village

Bere Regis Village Website
Click / tap image for a larger view Click / tap yellow circle for a larger view All large images appear in a new tab
Bere Regis (1925) Watercolour by Walter Tyndale RI (1856 - 1943) Bere Regis (1925) Watercolour by Walter Tyndale RI (1856 - 1943) Old Manor Court (Hutchins History of Dorset, 1861) L L L
This    fine    view    is    dated    1768,    and    is    by    the    London-born topographical     painter     William     Tomkins.     Tomkins     also     painted occasional   animal   pictures   and   still-lives,   but   he   is   best   known   for being   one   of   the   first   generation   of English   painters   of   the   picturesque view.   His   style   is   a   development   of the      earlier      "bird's      eye"      view tradition   of   landscape   painting,   and uses   a   lower   point   of   view   where the       emphasis       is       on       strict topographical    accuracy.    His    paintings    are    therefore    of    the    utmost historical   interest,   and   are   seldom   sullied   by   the   "romanticisation"   of the   succeeding   generation   of   English   landscape   painters   who   placed considerations of composition ahead of literal accuracy. Tomkins   was   an   Associate   of   the   Royal   Academy   of   Arts   in   London, but   seems   to   have   been   itinerant   throughout   the   whole   British   Isles. Paintings    by    him    from    places    as    far    apart    as    Cornwall    and    the Highlands    of    Scotland    were    abundantly    exhibited    at    the    Royal Academy   and   the   Society   of   Artists,   though   he   seems   to   have   had   a penchant   for   painting   in   the   West   Country.   Numerous   views   of   the area   are   known,   including   a   view   of   Plympton   (RA   1780)   and   a   set   of four   views   of   Tapeley   Park,   all   of   which   were   with   Lane   Fine Art   in   the last   five   years.   He   seems   to   have   been   patronised   by   the   highest levels   of   local   society,   and   is   recorded   working   for   Lord   Clifford   (1772) Viscount    Lisburne    (1773)    Joseph    Parker    at    Saltram    (1772,    now National   Trust),   Sir   Charles   Kyme   Tynte   (1771)   and   Henry   Luttrell   at Dunster   (1773)   and   many   other   major   landowners.   He   emerges   as one   of   the   most   favoured   painters   of   landscapes   and   Gentlemen's Seats of the 18th century. Chamberlain's   Mill   was   an   early   water   driven   mill   of   a   type   which existed   in   many   English   villages   well   into   the   nineteenth   century,   when they   were   gradually   replaced   by   industrialised   steam   driven   engines for   grinding   corn.   It   was   located   just   outside   the   picturesque   village   of Bere   Regis.   A   few   working   examples   still   exist,   for   instance,   one   at Mapledurham   belonging   to   the   Eyston   family.   The   Chamberlain   family, owners    of    this    mill,    were    ancestors    of    the    Prime    Minister    Neville Chamberlain.
Chamberlain's Mill (1768) by William Tomkins ARA (1730-1792) L Manor Court Farm (1786) by J B Knight L Woodbury Hill Fort (1724 Engraving) L
This   Drawing   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset    Natural History    &    Archaeological    Society    (DNH&AS). Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be ordered   from   the   Museum,   by   contacting   them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis (1904) by Charles George Harper, from the H F V Johnstone Collection L Church Interior (1906) by by Walter Tyndale RI (1856 - 1943) L Village from the East by unknown Artist L © Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society L Church from the North East by unknown Artist (circa 1774) L Bere Regis - the Kingsbere of Tess of the D'Urbervilles, by EJ Maybery (1887 - 1964) L
This Drawing is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum, by contacting them here, or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis (1904) by Charles George Harper, from the H F V Johnstone Collection L
This Drawing is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum, by contacting them here, or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis from the H F V Johnstone Collection L
This Drawing is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum, by contacting them here, or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church Turberville Window (1904), by Charles George Harper, from the H F V Johnstone Collection L
This Drawing is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum, by contacting them here, or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church Interior (1904), by Charles George Harper, from the H F V Johnstone Collection L A Byway near Bere Regis, by Frederick Pegram RI in 1923 Published as part of his book, 'The Hardy Country - literary Landmarks of the Wessex Novels' L