© Bere Regis Village  2003  -  2017

Summary of the History of

our Village

Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website
Bere   Regis   has   known   more   illustrious   times-and   even   royal   patronage-during   its   1,000   years   or   more   of   history.   If   the   parish   as   a   whole   is considered,   the   history   of   human   occupation   and   settlement   goes   back   much   further,   and   archaeological   remains   show   the   higher   downland   in   the northern part of the parish to have been continuously occupied from Neolithic times (2500-1900 BC) until the Roman period (AD 43-AD 410). The   village   itself   was   established   in   its   present   position   as   a   small   settlement   during   Saxon   times,   in   common   with   most   other   English   towns   and villages,   but   by   the   13th   century   it   had   grown   to   town   status,   having   been   made   a   free   borough   during   the   reign   of   King   Edward   1   (1272-1307), although   members   do   not   appear   to   have   been   elected   to   parliament.   In   1215   a   charter   for   a   market   was   granted   by   King   John,   and   this   weekly market was still being held on Wednesdays in 1861, but it had by then become very small, subsequently ceasing altogether. The   growth   from   Saxon   village   to   town   status   in   the   13th   century   could   have   been   due   to   two   main   factors;   the   importance   of   the   annual   fair   on Woodbury   Hill   which   originated   early   in   the   12th   century   to   become   one   of   the   largest   in   the   south   of   England,   and   the   16   visits   to   the   manor   by King   John   during   his   reign   (1199-1216).   After   this   time   the   fame   and   fortunes   of   Bere   Regis   were   closely   bound   to   those   of   the   powerful   and influential   Turberville   family   who   were   lords   of   the   manor   from   the   13th   to   the   18th   centuries.   In   addition,   Cardinal   Morton,   who   was   born   at Milborne   Stileham   which   then   formed   part   of   this   parish,   and   who   was   so   influential   in   national   affairs,   was   said   to   have   been   "much   given   to building",   and   the   result   of   his   continued   association   with   his   native   parish   is   still   apparent   in   the   late   15th   century   work   of   the   parish   church   for which he was largely responsible. Little,   if   any,   evidence   of   these   former   associations   can   now   be   seen   in   the   village   itself,   but   the   magnificent   parish   church   has   survived   from mediaeval   times,   and   contains   portions   of   work   carried   out   at   various   periods   under   the   influence   of   the   Turbervilles   and   Cardinal   Morton. A   close architectural   study   of   the   church   shows   it   to   have   originated   as   a   small   cruciform   building   in   the   mid   llth   century,   and   to   have   grown   to   its   present size by the end of the 15th century by a series of additions and enlargements, reflecting as it were the growth of the village itself. In   some   parishes   it   is   possible   to   give   a   population   figure   at   the   time   of   the   Domesday   Survey   of   1086,   but   as   the   manor   of   Bere   Regis   was   at   that time   royal   domain   it   was   not   as   a   result   included   separately   in   the   survey.   Approximate   populations   can   be   calculated   from   the   various   lists compiled   in   the   16th   and   I7th   centuries   such   as   the   1542   muster   roll,   the   1641   protestation   returns   and   the   1662   hearth   tax   assessments,   but   the formulae   far   so   doing   are   uncertaln   and   the   results   unreliable.   Reliable   figures   are   however   available   from   the   ten-yearly   census   returns   which commenced   in   1801.   Until   1901   Milbourne   Stileham   was   included   with   Bere   Regis,   but   in   the   list   which   follows   the   population   figures   for   that former part of the parish have been omitted:   1801 - 936                    1911 - 1,059 1811 - 953                    1921 - 970 1821 - 1,080                 1931 - 1,027 1831 - 1,170                 1941 - No Census 1841 - 1,394                 1951 - 1,130 1851 - 1,494                 1961 - 1,157 1861 - 1,336                 1971 - 1,235 1871 - 1,366                 1981 - 1,450 1881 - 1,284                 1991 - 1,740 1891 - 1,144                 2001 - 1,797 1901 - 1,014                 2011 - 1,750 The   Graph   below   clearly   shows   how   the   Population   has   changed   over   the   years.   Please   note   that no   Census   was   conducted   in   1941,   due   to   the   Second   World   War.   (A   big   thank   you   to   these   people for the Graph). The   above   figures   show   a   marked   increase   during   the   first   half   of   the   19th   century   from   936   in   1801   to   the   all   time   peak   of   1494   in   1851,   at   which time   the   industrial   revolution   had   begun   to   take   effect,   and   the   resultant   decline   of   rural   areas   is   reflected   in   the   figures   which   then   continue   to decrease   until   the   end   of   the   century. Another   low   point   occurred   in   1921   as   a   result   of   world   war   1   and   its   accompanying   post   war   depression,   but an increasing trend which then began is still continuing at the present time.
© Bere Regis Village  2003  -  2017

Summary of the History of

our Village

Bere Regis Village Website
Bere     Regis     has     known     more     illustrious     times-and     even     royal patronage-during   its   1,000   years   or   more   of   history.   If   the   parish   as   a whole   is   considered,   the   history   of   human   occupation   and   settlement goes   back   much   further,   and   archaeological   remains   show   the   higher downland   in   the   northern   part   of   the   parish   to   have   been   continuously occupied   from   Neolithic   times   (2500-1900   BC)   until   the   Roman   period (AD 43-AD 410). The   village   itself   was   established   in   its   present   position   as   a   small settlement   during   Saxon   times,   in   common   with   most   other   English towns   and   villages,   but   by   the   13th   century   it   had   grown   to   town   status, having   been   made   a   free   borough   during   the   reign   of   King   Edward   1 (1272-1307),   although   members   do   not   appear   to   have   been   elected to   parliament.   In   1215   a   charter   for   a   market   was   granted   by   King John,   and   this   weekly   market   was   still   being   held   on   Wednesdays   in 1861,   but   it   had   by   then   become   very   small,   subsequently   ceasing altogether. The   growth   from   Saxon   village   to   town   status   in   the   13th   century   could have   been   due   to   two   main   factors;   the   importance   of   the   annual   fair on   Woodbury   Hill   which   originated   early   in   the   12th   century   to   become one   of   the   largest   in   the   south   of   England,   and   the   16   visits   to   the manor   by   King   John   during   his   reign   (1199-1216).   After   this   time   the fame   and   fortunes   of   Bere   Regis   were   closely   bound   to   those   of   the powerful   and   influential   Turberville   family   who   were   lords   of   the   manor from   the   13th   to   the   18th   centuries.   In   addition,   Cardinal   Morton,   who was   born   at   Milborne   Stileham   which   then   formed   part   of   this   parish, and   who   was   so   influential   in   national   affairs,   was   said   to   have   been "much   given   to   building",   and   the   result   of   his   continued   association with   his   native   parish   is   still   apparent   in   the   late   15th   century   work   of the parish church for which he was largely responsible. Little,   if   any,   evidence   of   these   former   associations   can   now   be   seen   in the   village   itself,   but   the   magnificent   parish   church   has   survived   from mediaeval   times,   and   contains   portions   of   work   carried   out   at   various periods   under   the   influence   of   the   Turbervilles   and   Cardinal   Morton.   A close   architectural   study   of   the   church   shows   it   to   have   originated   as   a small   cruciform   building   in   the   mid   llth   century,   and   to   have   grown   to   its present   size   by   the   end   of   the   15th   century   by   a   series   of   additions   and enlargements, reflecting as it were the growth of the village itself. In   some   parishes   it   is   possible   to   give   a   population   figure   at   the   time   of the   Domesday   Survey   of   1086,   but   as   the   manor   of   Bere   Regis   was   at that   time   royal   domain   it   was   not   as   a   result   included   separately   in   the survey.   Approximate   populations   can   be   calculated   from   the   various lists   compiled   in   the   16th   and   I7th   centuries   such   as   the   1542   muster roll,     the     1641     protestation     returns     and     the     1662     hearth     tax assessments,   but   the   formulae   far   so   doing   are   uncertaln   and   the results   unreliable.   Reliable   figures   are   however   available   from   the   ten- yearly   census   returns   which   commenced   in   1801.   Until   1901   Milbourne Stileham   was   included   with   Bere   Regis,   but   in   the   list   which   follows   the population figures for that former part of the parish have been omitted:   1801 - 936                    1911 - 1,059 1811 - 953                    1921 - 970 1821 - 1,080                 1931 - 1,027 1831 - 1,170                 1941 - No Census 1841 - 1,394                 1951 - 1,130 1851 - 1,494                 1961 - 1,157 1861 - 1,336                 1971 - 1,235 1871 - 1,366                 1981 - 1,450 1881 - 1,284                 1991 - 1,740 1891 - 1,144                 2001 - 1,797 1901 - 1,014                 2011 - 1,750 The   Graph   below   clearly   shows   how   the   Population   has   changed   over the   years.   Please   note   that   no   Census   was   conducted   in   1941,   due   to the    Second    World    War.    (A    big    thank    you    to    these     people    for    the Graph). The   above   figures   show   a   marked   increase   during   the   first   half   of   the 19th   century   from   936   in   1801   to   the   all   time   peak   of   1494   in   1851,   at which   time   the   industrial   revolution   had   begun   to   take   effect,   and   the resultant   decline   of   rural   areas   is   reflected   in   the   figures   which   then continue   to   decrease   until   the   end   of   the   century.   Another   low   point occurred   in   1921   as   a   result   of   world   war   1   and   its   accompanying   post war    depression,    but    an    increasing    trend    which    then    began    is    still continuing at the present time.