© Bere Regis Village  2003  -  2017

Historic Village General Views

Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website
Click / tap image for a larger view Click / tap yellow circle for full size image in a new tab
Probably the Oldest Photograph of Bere Regis; taken in 1863 This    photograph    was    taken    looking    west    from    Woodbury    Hill.    It    was    taken    by    J.W.Boswell;    the    village's    first    photographer,    whose    other occupations   included   being   a   decorator.   The   main   road   to   Poole   enters   at   the   left   of   the   picture,   while   the   lane   to   its   right   is Blind   Street.   The   church   is   very   prominent   at   the   left   and   in   its   pre-restoration   state.   Particularly   noticeable   in   this   early- Spring   photo   is   the   lack   of   bushes,   trees   and   shrubs   anywhere   in   the   village.   It   is   sobering   to   think   that   at   this   time   the London   Underground   work   began   as   the   first   underground   railway   in   the   world,   while   in   America   the   Civil   War   was   raging with   the   Confederates'   best   general   Stonewall   Jackson   dying   after   being   accidentally   shot   by   one   of   his   own   sentries. Meanwhile in China General Gordon was battling the Tai Ping rebels!
Courtesy of John Pitfield L Westbrook Cottage, 1900 Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
This   picture,   taken   from   the   Church   tower   shows   the   extent   of   the   1980s   building   in   the   village.   Before   this   area   was   meadow   and allotments.   The   largest   building,   in   the   foreground,   is   Turberville   Court,   which   contains   flats   for   the   elderly,   while   the   new   Clinic   is also   visible   beyond.   Interestingly,   two   Bere   Regis   Coaches   are   on   the   parking   area,   not   far   from   the   original   bus   yards   belonging   to the firm.
Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L L L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L King Johns House L
Click the right image to see a late C18th engraving of how it used to look.
L
Click   the   image   left   to   see   one   of   the   stones   from   the   Old   Manor   House,   currently   part   of   a   villagers   garden   wall.   When   the   House fell into disrepair the villagers helped themselves - now that's recycling for you!
Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates L
Bere Regis Manor House from the SSW, on 25/06/71 This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset   Natural History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from   the Museum; quote ref P808, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield L Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield L L Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield L L Photograph courtesy of George Ward L Photograph courtesy of the 1986 BBC Domesday Project Photograph courtesy of George Ward L Photograph courtesy of the 1986 BBC Domesday Project
This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset   Natural   History   & Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from   the   Museum; quote ref P644, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Church & Town from the Rectory Garden, before 1900 This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   & Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from the Museum; quote ref P654, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Blind Lane, Bere Regis, in 1972 This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered from the Museum; quote ref P789, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Middlebere Heath in the 1920s This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset   Natural History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from   the Museum; quote ref P647, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum.
Boundary Stone on Black Hill - Bere Regis to Turnerspuddle Track, in August 1953 This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   & Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from the Museum; quote ref P32442, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Black Hill between 1910-12 This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   & Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from the Museum; quote ref P22454, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Black Hill in August 1953 This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset   Natural   History   & Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from   the   Museum; quote ref P32433, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Hyde House during the 1920s - 1930s This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   & Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from the Museum; quote ref P40726, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Hyde House next to the River Piddle, 1920s - 1930s This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   & Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from the Museum; quote ref P40727, for this Photograph. Contact them here, or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L L
River Piddle at Hyde, 1920’s - 1930’s This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   & Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from the Museum; quote ref P40861, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Hyde House next to the River Piddle, 1920s - 1930s This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum. The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset   Natural History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from   the Museum; quote ref P40862, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Hyde House shortly before it was demolished in 1999 This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum. The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset   Natural History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered   from   the Museum; quote ref P41850, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Courteney Tracy Otter Hounds next to the River Piddle, Hyde, 1920s-1930s This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered from the Museum; quote ref P41420, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Courteney Tracy Otter Hounds next to the River Piddle, Hyde, 1920s-1930s This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered from the Museum; quote ref P41367, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L L
Bere Regis, in 1885, taken from the Gamebook of Mr Charles Harvey Coombs This   Photograph   is   Copyright   of   Dorset   County   Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS).   Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered from the Museum; quote ref P45899, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L Photograph courtesy of Justin Standfield L L © © © © © © © © © © © © © © © ©
Bere Regis Manor House from the SSW, on 25/06/71 This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset   Natural History       &       Archaeological       Society       (DNH&AS). Reproduction     is     strictly     prohibited.     Prints     can     be ordered    from    the    Museum;    quote    ref    P808,    for    this    Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
© Bere Regis Village  2003  -  2017

Historic Village General

Views

Bere Regis Village Website
Click / tap image for a larger view Click / tap yellow circle for full size image in a new tab
Probably the Oldest Photograph of Bere Regis; taken in 1863 This   photograph   was   taken   looking   west   from   Woodbury   Hill.   It   was taken   by   J.W.Boswell;   the   village's   first   photographer,   whose   other occupations    included    being    a    decorator.   The main   road   to   Poole   enters   at   the   left   of   the picture,   while   the   lane   to   its   right   is   Blind   Street. The   church   is   very   prominent   at   the   left   and   in its   pre-restoration   state.   Particularly   noticeable in   this   early-Spring   photo   is   the   lack   of   bushes,   trees   and   shrubs anywhere   in   the   village.   It   is   sobering   to   think   that   at   this   time   the London   Underground   work   began   as   the   first   underground   railway   in the    world,    while    in    America    the    Civil    War    was    raging    with    the Confederates'    best    general    Stonewall    Jackson    dying    after    being accidentally   shot   by   one   of   his   own   sentries.   Meanwhile   in   China General Gordon was battling the Tai Ping rebels!
Courtesy of John Pitfield L Westbrook Cottage, 1900 Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
This   picture,   taken   from   the   Church   tower   shows   the   extent   of   the 1980s   building   in   the   village.   Before   this   area   was meadow   and   allotments.   The   largest   building,   in   the foreground,   is   Turberville   Court,   which   contains   flats for     the     elderly,     while     the     new     Clinic     is     also     visible     beyond. Interestingly,   two   Bere   Regis   Coaches   are   on   the   parking   area,   not   far from the original bus yards belonging to the firm.
Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L L L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L King Johns House L
Click   the   image   left   to   see   a   late C18th   engraving   of   how   it   used   to look.
L
Click   the   image   below   to   see   one   of   the   stones   from   the   Old   Manor House,   currently   part   of   a   villagers   garden   wall.   When the    House    fell    into    disrepair    the    villagers    helped themselves - now that's recycling for you!
Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett L Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett L Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield L Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield L L Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield L L Photograph courtesy of George Ward L Photograph courtesy of the 1986 BBC Domesday Project Photograph courtesy of George Ward L Photograph courtesy of the 1986 BBC Domesday Project
This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset   Natural History       &      Archaeological       Society       (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered    from    the    Museum;    quote    ref    P644,    for    this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Church & Town from the Rectory Garden, before 1900 This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P654,   for   this Photograph.   Contact   them   here ,   or   on   01305   756 829
Blind Lane, Bere Regis, in 1972 This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural       History       &       Archaeological       Society (DNH&AS).     Reproduction     is     strictly     prohibited. Prints   can   be   ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref P789, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Middlebere Heath in the 1920s This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset   Natural History        &       Archaeological        Society        (DNH&AS). Reproduction   is   strictly   prohibited.   Prints   can   be   ordered from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P647,   for   this   Photograph.   Contact   them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum.
Boundary Stone on Black Hill - Bere Regis to Turnerspuddle Track, in August 1953 This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P32442,   for   this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Black Hill between 1910-12 This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P22454,   for   this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Black Hill in August 1953 This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P32433,   for   this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Hyde House during the 1920s - 1930s This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P40726,   for   this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Hyde House next to the River Piddle, 1920s - 1930s This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P40727,   for   this Photograph. Contact them here, or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L L
River Piddle at Hyde, 1920’s - 1930’s This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P40861,   for   this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Hyde House next to the River Piddle, 1920s - 1930s This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P40862,   for   this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Hyde House shortly before it was demolished in 1999 This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum    is    owned    and    managed    by    the    Dorset Natural   History   &   Archaeological   Society   (DNH&AS). Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited.    Prints    can    be ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref   P41850,   for   this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Courteney Tracy Otter Hounds next to the River Piddle, Hyde, 1920s-1930s This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County Museum.   The   Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by the     Dorset     Natural     History     &     Archaeological Society      (DNH&AS).      Reproduction      is      strictly prohibited.     Prints     can     be     ordered     from     the Museum;   quote   ref   P41420,   for   this   Photograph.   Contact   them   here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L
Courteney Tracy Otter Hounds next to the River Piddle, Hyde, 1920s-1930s This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural       History       &      Archaeological       Society (DNH&AS).    Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited. Prints   can   be   ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref P41367,   for   this   Photograph.   Contact   them   here ,   or   on   01305   756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L L
Bere Regis, in 1885, taken from the Gamebook of Mr Charles Harvey Coombs This    Photograph    is    Copyright    of    Dorset    County    Museum.    The Museum   is   owned   and   managed   by   the   Dorset Natural       History       &      Archaeological       Society (DNH&AS).    Reproduction    is    strictly    prohibited. Prints   can   be   ordered   from   the   Museum;   quote   ref P45899,   for   this   Photograph.   Contact   them   here , or on 01305 756 829
This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. L Photograph courtesy of Justin Standfield L L