© Bere Regis Village  2003  -  2017

St. John the Baptist Church

Historical photographs

Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website
Bere Regis Church in about 1900 This   fine   photograph   of   the   church   was   taken   by   Walter   Pouncy   from   the   Court   Green   field   across   South   Brook   road.   When   compared   with   the church   photo   taken   in   the   1860s   one   can   see   the   new   windows   at   the   east   end   of   the   South Aisle   and   the   Chancel.   Of   particular interest   also   is   the   size   and   height   of   the   yew   trees   planted   in   the   churchyard. Their   growth   over   the   next   one   hundred   years   has helped to date many photographs in which they appear. Courtesy of John Pitfield
Click / tap image for a larger view Click / tap yellow circle for a larger view All large images appear in a new tab
L
Church Restoration, Bere Regis in 1875 Again   a   rather   poor   image,   but   one   sufficiently   unusual   for   inclusion.   This   view   is   from   the   nave   and   looking   toward   the   chancel, and   the   workmen   are   obviously   standing   still   for   the   photograph.   Indoor   photography   was   certainly   a   novelty   at   this   time, although   it   seems   that   the   south   aisle   roof   is   off   at   this   time.   Total   expense   of   the   work   carried   out   on   the   church   in   1875 amounted to 5,090 pounds. This picture was probably taken on the same day as the picture of the West Street Post Office. Courtesy of John Pitfield
L
Bere Regis Church in 1930 Neatly   trimmed Yew   trees!   Click   for   the   full   sized   image   and   see   if   you   can   read   the   sign   on   the   bottom   right   of   the   photograph   -   email    us   if   you can! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Bere Regis Church in the 1860's Probably   taken   by   J.W.   Boswell,   the   village   photographer   in   the   1860s,   it   shows   the   church   before   the   restoration   in   1875.   The   two   biggest differences   before   and   after   restoration   are   the   tops   of   the   two   east-facing   windows   in   this   view. The   south   aisle   has   a   square-top   window   and the   chancel   window   has   vertical   tracery.   Compare   this   with   the   next   picture   taken   after   1875.   Meanwhile   in   the   right   foreground   are   the   out- buildings at the rear of the village brewery in operation from the mid-19th Century, when a gallon of beer would cost one shilling. Courtesy of John Pitfield
L
The Turberville Chapel & Tombs The Turberville family was made famous by Thomas Hardys book, 'Tess of the D'urbervilles'. Bere Regis is his fabled 'Kingsbere'. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Nave of St. John the Baptist Church around 1912 From   the   writer   of   this   postcard,   "The   glory   of   the   church   is   its   timber   roof   which   is   gorgeous   with   the   most   elaborate   carvings." The public sentiment hasn't changed since those musings over 90 years ago... Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
St. John The Baptist Church West Window & Font Our lighting is slightly less conspicuous these days! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church Nave If   you   look   very   closely   on   the   full   size   image   you   can   even   read   which   hymns   &   Psalms   they   had   been   using!   The   pattern   on   the   Altar   cloth could also give you a hint about what time of year it was. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Looking towards the Nave Look at the wonderful symmetry in the architecture of this church. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church Roof Without   doubt,   the   roof,   erected   by   Cardinal   Morton,   is   the   highlight   of   our   lovely   Church.   The   12 Apostles   look   down   on   the   congregation   like 12 indoor beatific gargoyles. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church from the South East As   the   postcard   writer   noted   about   the   Church,   "one   of   the   most   beautiful   in   the   county".   No   arguments   there!   Note   the   distinctive   tree   in   the background. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church from Court Green Notice the brewery to the right of the photograph. That road in front of the Church is somewhat busier now! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church from Court Green This photograph clearly shows the field that the Church used to look out onto. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The 'D'Urberville' Tomb Me thinks the postcard maker is getting a bit carried away with his Thomas Hardy interest. This is actually the Turberville Family tomb! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church from Southbrook Notice the meadow & gardens the Church looks out over. An interesting example of an early coloured photograph. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church Roof Quite a piece of workmanship considering it was constructed in 1485! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Bere Regis Methodist Chapel, 1890 This   fine   photograph,   taken   shortly   after   completion   of   the   replacement   building,   was   made   from   a   6.5"   x   4.75"   glass   plate.   In   1931   a schoolroom   was   added   at   the   other,   East,   end,   but   in   April   1962   the   building   was   sold   to   a   Builders   Firm   for   use   as   a   carpentry workshop.   During   the   1960s   and   1970s   the   walls   were   adorned   with   many   pictures   and   illustrations   that   the   original   purpose   of the   building   would   not   have   envisaged.   Demolition   finally   came   in   the   late   1980s   to   make   way   for   new   building   developments   and housing. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Bere Regis Methodist Chapel in about 1880 Built   in   1828   for   £120,   when   the   Methodists   split   from   the   other   church   in   the   village   and   at   a   time   when   various   groups   worshipped   in   several different   buildings.   The   description   of   this   post-card   view   says   that   this   was   The   First   Wesleyan   Church,   and   it   was   certainly the   first   in   the   Dorchester   circuit   of   Methodists.   This   cob   and   brick   building   was   pulled   down   and   replaced   by   an   entirely   brick building   in   1890.   Its   location   was   down   a   small   lane   from   West   Street   opposite   the   Drax   Arms,   ending   not   far   from   the   main village church. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Interior of the Church Plenty of flowers in the Church! Maybe it was a harvest festival... Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Turberville Tombs You can see the Turberville tombs through this angled photograph. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Church & Brewary Quite an unlikely combination - these two buildings! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Churchyard A verdant churchyard indeed! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Norman Arches & the Font Doesn't that Font look serene? Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Lepers Squint Interesting description on the postcard - 'Lepers squint'... Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Church from the north east Look at the strange shaped lamp to the right Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L Top of page
more
1 2 3 4 5 6
Page one
© Bere Regis Village  2003  -  2017

St. John the Baptist Church

Historical photographs

Bere Regis Village Website
Bere Regis Church in about 1900 This   fine   photograph   of   the   church   was   taken   by   Walter   Pouncy   from the   Court   Green   field   across   South   Brook   road.   When compared   with   the   church   photo   taken   in   the   1860s   one can   see   the   new   windows   at   the   east   end   of   the   South Aisle   and   the   Chancel.   Of   particular   interest   also   is   the size   and   height   of   the   yew   trees   planted   in   the   churchyard.   Their growth   over   the   next   one   hundred   years   has   helped   to   date   many photographs in which they appear. Courtesy of John Pitfield
Click / tap image for a larger view Click / tap yellow circle for a larger view All large images appear in a new tab
L
Church Restoration, Bere Regis in 1875 Again   a   rather   poor   image,   but   one   sufficiently   unusual   for   inclusion. This    view    is    from    the    nave    and    looking    toward    the chancel,   and   the   workmen   are   obviously   standing   still   for the    photograph.    Indoor    photography    was    certainly    a novelty   at   this   time,   although   it   seems   that   the   south aisle   roof   is   off   at   this   time.   Total   expense   of   the   work   carried   out   on the    church    in    1875    amounted    to    5,090    pounds.    This    picture    was probably   taken   on   the   same   day   as   the   picture   of   the   West   Street   Post Office. Courtesy of John Pitfield
L
Bere Regis Church in 1930 Neatly   trimmed   Yew   trees!   Click   for   the   full   sized   image   and   see   if   you can   read   the   sign   on   the   bottom   right   of   the   photograph   - email  us if you can! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Bere Regis Church in the 1860's Probably   taken   by   J.W.   Boswell,   the   village   photographer   in   the   1860s, it   shows   the   church   before   the   restoration   in   1875.   The two   biggest   differences   before   and   after   restoration   are the   tops   of   the   two   east-facing   windows   in   this   view.   The south   aisle   has   a   square-top   window   and   the   chancel window   has   vertical   tracery.   Compare   this   with   the   next   picture   taken after   1875.   Meanwhile   in   the   right   foreground   are   the   out-buildings   at the   rear   of   the   village   brewery   in   operation   from   the   mid-19th   Century, when a gallon of beer would cost one shilling. Courtesy of John Pitfield
L
The Turberville Chapel & Tombs The   Turberville   family   was   made   famous   by   Thomas   Hardys   book, 'Tess    of    the    D'urbervilles'.    Bere    Regis    is    his    fabled 'Kingsbere'. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Nave of St. John the Baptist Church around 1912 From   the   writer   of   this   postcard,   "The   glory   of   the   church   is   its   timber roof     which     is     gorgeous     with     the     most     elaborate carvings."   The    public    sentiment    hasn't    changed    since those musings over 90 years ago... Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
St. John The Baptist Church West Window & Font Our lighting is slightly less conspicuous these days! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church Nave If   you   look   very   closely   on   the   full   size   image   you   can   even   read   which hymns   &   Psalms   they   had   been   using!   The   pattern   on the Altar   cloth   could   also   give   you   a   hint   about   what   time of year it was. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Looking towards the Nave Look at the wonderful symmetry in the architecture of this church. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church Roof Without   doubt,   the   roof,   erected   by   Cardinal   Morton,   is   the   highlight   of our   lovely   Church.   The   12   Apostles   look   down   on   the congregation like 12 indoor beatific gargoyles. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church from the South East As    the    postcard    writer    noted    about    the    Church,    "one    of    the    most beautiful   in   the   county".   No   arguments   there!   Note   the distinctive tree in the background. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church from Court Green Notice   the   brewery   to   the   right   of   the   photograph.   That   road   in   front   of the Church is somewhat busier now! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church from Court Green This   photograph   clearly   shows   the   field   that   the   Church   used   to   look out onto. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The 'D'Urberville' Tomb Me   thinks   the   postcard   maker   is   getting   a   bit   carried   away   with   his Thomas   Hardy   interest.   This   is   actually   the   Turberville Family tomb! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church from Southbrook Notice    the    meadow    &    gardens    the    Church    looks    out    over.    An interesting example of an early coloured photograph. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
The Church Roof Quite a piece of workmanship considering it was constructed in 1485! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Bere Regis Methodist Chapel, 1890 This   fine   photograph,   taken   shortly   after   completion   of   the   replacement building,   was   made   from   a   6.5"   x   4.75"   glass   plate.   In 1931   a   schoolroom   was   added   at   the   other,   East,   end, but   in April   1962   the   building   was   sold   to   a   Builders   Firm for   use   as   a   carpentry   workshop.   During   the   1960s   and 1970s   the   walls   were   adorned   with   many   pictures   and illustrations    that    the    original    purpose    of    the    building would   not   have   envisaged.   Demolition   finally   came   in   the late 1980s to make way for new building developments and housing. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Bere Regis Methodist Chapel in about 1880 Built   in   1828   for   £120,   when   the   Methodists   split   from   the   other   church in   the   village   and   at   a   time   when   various   groups worshipped     in     several     different     buildings.     The description   of   this   post-card   view   says   that   this   was The   First   Wesleyan   Church,   and   it   was   certainly   the first   in   the   Dorchester   circuit   of   Methodists.   This   cob and   brick   building   was   pulled   down   and   replaced   by   an   entirely   brick building   in   1890.   Its   location   was   down   a   small   lane   from   West   Street opposite the Drax Arms, ending not far from the main village church. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Interior of the Church Plenty of flowers in the Church! Maybe it was a harvest festival... Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Turberville Tombs You can see the Turberville tombs through this angled photograph. Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Church & Brewary Quite an unlikely combination - these two buildings! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Churchyard A verdant churchyard indeed! Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Norman Arches & the Font Doesn't that Font look serene? Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Lepers Squint Interesting description on the postcard - 'Lepers squint'... Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L
Church from the north east Look at the strange shaped lamp to the right Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
L Top of page
more
1 2 3 4 5 6
Page one