Bere Regis Village website

St. John the Baptist Church

Historical photographs

Click / tap image for a larger view Click / tap yellow circle for a larger view All large images appear in a new tab
The War Memorial The war memorial between the wars Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
Top of page
more
Top of page
previous
The Retreat, Bere Regis in 1925 Formerly No 28, West Street, the building became the vicarage in 1956, although the Church garden party continued at Summerods, the previous vicarage, until 1976. The statues over the door probably disappeared before the war. Photograph courtesy of John Pittfield
Church Interior looking down the Aisle towards the Altar c1905 This Photograph shows the church from the Aisle, looking East towards the Altar
Bere Regis Church circa 1873 This view shows the interior of the church before the restoration of 1875. Although the preservation treatment of the roof timbers was a major part of that work, other big differences included the removal of the rectangular painting at the east end of the nave, and the replacement of the box-pew seating arrangement with a more open, separated seating system. Photograph courtesy of John Pittfield
Church Interior from the West End The Church from the West End. The inscription reads "Bere Regis Church, Dorset. Hardy's 'Kingsbere' ('Tess of the D'Urbervilles')
Church Interior from the West End The Church from the West End. The inscription reads "Bere Regis Church, Dorset. Hardy's 'Kingsbere' ('Tess of the D'Urbervilles')
Church from the North West Notice the lovely mature trees in the Churchyard.
Bere Regis Church circa 1880 Just five years after the completion of the refurbishment of Bere Regis Church, this photograph was taken from Court Green field. Long photographic exposure times used at this time meant that most people in a busy street scene disappeared in a blur, so it was a complete surprise to see two women chatting at the gates to the churchyard. Zooming right in, as per the close-up below, it was found that a third person was there too. Left to right, a guess at their ages could be 40, 30 and nine, so if you have a relative born in about 1840, 1850 or 1871 this could be the earliest photo of them. Do you know who they might be?
Church Roof Detail Look at the detail on the beams...
Church from the North West Where has the village gone?!!
Church from the South East This old postcard from approximately the 1950's shows (clockwise from top left) Bere Regis Church, the River Frome near Dorchester (central image), Puddletown, Tolpuddle & the Hangman's Cottage near Dorchester. The card is from the "Sunray" Series by Thunder & Clayden of Bournemouth and has the serial number C.M.1220.
Bere Regis Congregational Chapel Sunday School, 1920s-30s Sunday School Photograph courtesy of Heather Frazer
Towards the Altar in St. John the Baptist Church in Bere Regis in circa 1950
Repairs at Congregational Vestry Building Photograph courtesy of Heather Frazer
Looking down the Aisle at St. John the Baptist Church in Bere Regis in circa 1950
St. John the Baptist Church, Bere Regis, from the North East in the 1950's
Bere Regis Church from the North East This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P651, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church from the South, in around 1920 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P653, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church from the North East This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P655, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church between 1939-1944 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P657, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church between 1939-1944 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P658, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church on 12/12/1977 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P657a, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church between 1939-1944 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P660 for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Page three
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.

St. John the Baptist Church

Historical photographs

Bere Regis Village Website
Click / tap image for a larger view Click / tap yellow circle for a larger view All large images appear in a new tab
The War Memorial The war memorial between the wars Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett
Top of page
more
Top of page
previous
The Retreat, Bere Regis in 1925 Formerly No 28, West Street, the building became the vicarage in 1956, although the Church garden party continued at Summerods, the previous vicarage, until 1976. The statues over the door probably disappeared before the war. Photograph courtesy of John Pittfield
Church Interior looking down the Aisle towards the Altar c1905 This Photograph shows the church from the Aisle, looking East towards the Altar
Bere Regis Church circa 1873 This view shows the interior of the church before the restoration of 1875. Although the preservation treatment of the roof timbers was a major part of that work, other big differences included the removal of the rectangular painting at the east end of the nave, and the replacement of the box-pew seating arrangement with a more open, separated seating system. Photograph courtesy of John Pittfield
Church Interior from the West End The Church from the West End. The inscription reads "Bere Regis Church, Dorset. Hardy's 'Kingsbere' ('Tess of the D'Urbervilles')
Church Interior from the West End The Church from the West End. The inscription reads "Bere Regis Church, Dorset. Hardy's 'Kingsbere' ('Tess of the D'Urbervilles')
Church from the North West Notice the lovely mature trees in the Churchyard.
Bere Regis Church circa 1880 Just five years after the completion of the refurbishment of Bere Regis Church, this photograph was taken from Court Green field. Long photographic exposure times used at this time meant that most people in a busy street scene disappeared in a blur, so it was a complete surprise to see two women chatting at the gates to the churchyard. Zooming right in, as per the close-up below, it was found that a third person was there too. Left to right, a guess at their ages could be 40, 30 and nine, so if you have a relative born in about 1840, 1850 or 1871 this could be the earliest photo of them. Do you know who they might be?
Church Roof Detail Look at the detail on the beams...
Church from the North West Where has the village gone?!!
Church from the South East This old postcard from approximately the 1950's shows (clockwise from top left) Bere Regis Church, the River Frome near Dorchester (central image), Puddletown, Tolpuddle & the Hangman's Cottage near Dorchester. The card is from the "Sunray" Series by Thunder & Clayden of Bournemouth and has the serial number C.M.1220.
Bere Regis Congregational Chapel Sunday School, 1920s-30s Sunday School Photograph courtesy of Heather Frazer
Towards the Altar in St. John the Baptist Church in Bere Regis in circa 1950
Repairs at Congregational Vestry Building Photograph courtesy of Heather Frazer
Looking down the Aisle at St. John the Baptist Church in Bere Regis in circa 1950
St. John the Baptist Church, Bere Regis, from the North East in the 1950's
Bere Regis Church from the North East This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P651, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church from the South, in around 1920 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P653, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church from the North East This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P655, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church between 1939-1944 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P657, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church between 1939-1944 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P658, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church on 12/12/1977 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P657a, for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Bere Regis Church between 1939-1944 This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited. Prints can be ordered from the Museum; quote ref P660 for this Photograph. Contact them here , or on 01305 756 829
Page three
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.