Bere Regis Village, Dorset
Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.

The Old Village Inns & Innkeepers

There   is   some   peculiar   fascination   about   the   study   of   old   inns,   particularly   in   cases   where   they   have   subsequently   undergone   a   change   of   use,   or where   they   have   disappeared   altogether.   This   is   possibly   due   to   their   having   been   in   former   days   the   scene   of   village   life   in,   as   it were,   concentrated   form,   such   gatherings   having   taken   place   in   what   may   now   be   an   ordinary   cottage   or   nothing   more   than   a   gap in   the   village   street.   The   17th   and   18th   century   public   houses   were   of   varying   sorts   and   sizes,   from   the   larger   inns   catering   for travellers and visitors, to the more humble alehouses catering almost exclusively for local custom. These   latter   establishments   were   usually   no   more   than   ordinary   dwellings   licensed   to   sell   beer,   where   the   patrons   would   simply   sit   and   drink around   the   kitchen   or   living   room   table.   As   they   were   primarily   for   local   custom,   stabling   accommodation,   signs   or   other   distinguishing   features were unnecessary, and hence   in   such   buildings   which   have   subsequently   reverted   to   private   dwellings   there   are   no   visible   features   to   indicate   their   former   use.   The   larger inns,   however,   are   recognisable   by   their   basic   plan   form,   being   usually   located   on   a   corner   site   with   a   yard   and   stabling   accommodation   at   the   rear, such as is still evident at the present Royal Oak and Drax Arms. In   the   18th   century   there   were   at   least   seven   public   houses   in   Bere   Regis;   the   Royal   Oak,   Kings Arms,   Kings   Head,   Crown,   New   Inn,   Duke   William and   Greyhound-and   information   concerning   them   is   obtainable   from   a   number   of   sources.   Firstly,   the   Dorset   Alehouse   Registers   cover   the   period 1714-1770.   Before   1753   the   names   of   the   licensees   only   are   given,   but   after   that   date   the   names   of   the   inns   are   frequently   given   also,   providing   a complete   picture   for   the   years   1753-1770.   With   this   latter   period   as   a   starting   point   it   then   becomes   possible   to   trace   the   inns   further   by   means   of the churchwardens and overseers accounts, particularly the rate assessment lists. The   parish   rate   lists   go   back   to   1614,   and   although   they   are   incomplete   for   a   large   part   of   the   17th   century,   they   exist   for   each   year   from   1678   to 1778.   When   the   churchwardens   or   overseers   drew   up   the   list   of   ratepayers   for   a   particular   year   they   naturally   made   use   of   the   previous   year's   list as   a   basis,   and   consequently   the   names   of   the   ratepayers   occur   in   the   same   order   year   by   year. A   change   of   tenant   can   therefore   be   easily   spotted by   this   means   alone,   but   in   addition   this   is   sometimes   confirmed   by   a   reference   to   the   previous   tenant,   e.g.   "Stephen   Masters   for   Norrices   late," which occurs in the rates for 1735-38. Sometimes   when   a   property   lay   vacant   the   lord   of   the   manor   was   required   to   pay   the   rate,   and   in   such   cases   the   name   of   the   property   is   often mentioned, for example in 1724 and 1725 this item occurs in the rate: "Major Duckett & his Lady's Sistrs for ye Kings Arms." As   this   latter   item   occupies   the   same   position   in   the   list   as   the   previous   item   concerning   Stephen   Masters   and   Richard   Norris,   both   of   whom   are known   to   have   been   innkeepers   from   entries   in   the   expenditure   section   of   the   churchwardens   accounts,   their   association   with   the   Kings   Arms   is therefore established. The   expenditure   section   of   the   churchwardens   accounts   gives   clear   indications   of   the   names   of   innkeepers   by   items   in   which   they   are   nominated as receiving payments for beer for the ringers, for beer consumed at church meetings (which incidentally   appear   to   have   taken   place   at   the   various   inns   in   turn,   in   order   presumably   to   avoid   unfair   patronage)   and   for   the   accommodation   of passing travelers for whom the churchwardens were responsible. Where   the   name   of   the   tenant   is   known,   the   1662-64   hearth   tax   returns   can   give   an   indication   of   the   size   of   an   inn   at   that   period,   and   show   whether or   not   an   innkeeper   was   living   at   a   time   not   covered   by   either   church   rates   or   parish   register   transcripts.   The   register   transcripts   themselves   are useful in clarifying otherwise mysterious successions when the property passed to a son-in-law or where a widow may have remarried. It   is   fortunate   that   the   rate   lists,   extending   to   1778,   go   just   far   enough   to   be   read   in   conjunction   with   the   1777   Isaac   Taylor   map,   enabling   some   of the   old   inns   to   be   located   with   near   certainty,   and   in   the   same   way   the   1844   tithe   map   can   be   read   in   conjunction   with   the   19th   century   trade directories and census returns. The following notes are derived from the various sources described above, and are dealt with under the heading of the inns concerned: The Royal Oak In spite of a sign in the entrance hall claiming that the Royal Oak was established in 1720, it can in fact be traced back to at least 1614, and is referred to by name in 1712. The present building probably dates from just after the fire of 1788, but its predecessor appears from the 1777 map to have been of approximately the same size and shape, and in 1662 it contained 5 hearths, denoting a fairly large building by 17th century village standards. The following innkeepers have been traced from entries in the churchwardens accounts and rate lists, and from the Dorset alehouse registers: 1614-1639 Peter Melmouth occurs in the first rate list and probably held the property for several years before that date. 1639-1642 Luce Melmouth, widow, continued as tenant after her husband's death, at least until 1642 and probably beyond, but it is not possible to ascertain the precise date due to a lack of both rate lists and register transcripts for this period. Neither is it possible to say with certainty that the Melmouths were innkeepers, as in the early churchwardens accounts, individual innkeepers were not named, such items being dealt with collectively for a whole year. 1654- 1656 Thomas Joyner succeeded Luce Melmouth at some time between 1642 and 1654 as the item in the rate list reads "Thomas Joyner for Melmouths", and he is known to have been an innkeeper from items in the accounts for 1654 and 1656. 1657-1674 Maud Joyner, widow, continued after her husband's death, presumably until her own death in 1674. 1678- 1680 William Joyner occurs in the rates, and probably commenced his tenancy in 1674. 1681 Barnabas Joyner succeeded his brother William. 1682-1699 Widow Joyner, presumably Barnabas's widow, appears to have moved to London in 1699, but continued to pay the rate until 1705. Owing to its long association with this family the property seems generally to have been known as "Joyners" at least until 1712 when it is referred to in the rates by its present name. 1699-1709 John Sargent appears as an innkeeper in the accounts from 1699 and paid the rates from 1706 until 1709. From 1710 until about 1740 the rates on most of the village inns were paid by someone other than the licensee, possibly due to the inns having been sold to private owners, or to some government legislation requiring inns to be in the hands of a responsible citizen, in the case of the Royal Oak a certain Mr. Martin who later became Dr. Martin. As a result of this the name of the licensee is uncertain from 1710 until the alehouse registers commence in 1714. 1714 Richard Hardy 1715-1722 Robert Hardy 1722- 1736 Margaret Hardy, widow succeeded Robert Hardy after his death. As a matter of interest she is referred to as Margaret Sargent by one of the churchwardens in 1732, suggesting that this might have been her maiden name. This would account for the association of Sargents and Hardys with the property, as it was quite common for tenancies to remain in the same family. 1737-1754 David Chappell was the innkeeper although Margaret Hardy continued to pay the rate. 1755-1757 Margaret Hardy re-occurs as licensee, and died in 1758. 1758- 1777 John Sargent probably a relative of Margaret Hardy and descendant of the earlier John Sargent. He is paying rate on his stock of beer until 1774 after which he is succeeded by Robert Burgess, although the 1777 map shows John Sargent to be still tenant at that date. He died in November 1777. In the following list of Royal Oak innkeepers the dates before 1885 are from trade directories which appeared at infrequent intervals and are therefore approximate only. The later dates have been obtained from electoral lists and information kindly supplied by brewers Strong and Co. of Romsey: 1830-1844 John Casher 1846-1855 Sarah Hillier 1859- 1880 Joseph Knowles 1885-1903 William George 1903-1911 William Hobbs 1911-1923 Samuel Matthews 1923-1935 William Holladay 1936-1946 Victor Lock 1947- 1951 George Kerton 1951-1957 Ernest Garner 1957-1959 John McDonald 1959- 1976 Desmond Powell 1976 Fraute Cottrell The Drax Arms (Kings Head) As   previously   mentioned   this   inn   is   of   the   usual   pattern   for   one   of   the   larger   establishments   and   suggests   that   it   has   been   so from   at   least   the   17th   century,   but   it   could   not   have   acquired   its   present   name   until   after   Henry   Drax   had   bought   the   Bere   Regis estate   from   the   surviving   Turbervilles   in   1733.   It   does   not   therefore   appear   by   this   name   in   the   alehouse   registers   even   in   1770 when   they   end,   but   by   1777   it   is   referred   to   as   the   Drax's Arms   on   the   1777   map   with   the   tenant   named   as James   Kitcatt.   On   referring   to   the   overseers   rate   lists   it   can   be   determined   that   James   Kitcatt   succeeded William   Scott   who   is   known   to   have   been   the   licensee   of   the   Kings   Head   in   1770   from   the   alehouse register   of   that   year,   indicating   therefore   that   the   name   was   changed   from   the   Kings   Head   to   the   Drax Arms at   some   time   between   1770   and   1777. This   then   enables   the   property   to   be   traced   with   certainty   back   to   the early 18th century by means of a combination of the alehouse registers and parish rates. Before   1715   however,   the   names   of   the   licensees   are   uncertain.   For   rating   purposes   the   property   was   known   as   'Meerings"   at least   until   1763,   and   as   such   can   be   traced   back   to   William   Meering   who   occurs   in   the   1662   hearth   tax   returns,   and   possibly   to Henry   Meeren   who   occurs   in   the   1641   protestation   returns.   William   Meering   held   the   property   until   his   death   in   1685   after   which he   was   succeeded   by   his   widow   until   1692.   Richard   Meering   was   ratepayer   in   1693,   but   the   property   passed   to   Edward   Barnes or   Barons   in   1694   who   was   in   turn   succeeded   by   his   widow   from   1702   to   1704.   In   1700   &   1701   Edward   Barnes   is   described   in the   rate   list   as   "of   Corfe   Castle".   From   this   time   onwards   the   property   generally   occurs   in   the   rate   as   "Owners   or   occupiers   of   the tenent, called Meerings," although "Robt. Burgess or other tenent. of ye tenent. called Meerings" occurs in 1705 and 1710, and "Eliz. Meering or tennt." occurs in 1711. The   rate   list   entries   quoted   indicate   that   during   this   period   the   ratepayers   were   not   necessarily   occupiers   or   licensees,   and   this   is confirmed   by   the   fact   that   the   names   Meenng   or   Barnes   do   not   figure   among   the   innkeepers   appearing   in   the   churchwardens accounts.   As   the   Drax   Arms/Kings   Head   was   one   of   the   larger   establishments   capable   of   accommodating   travelers,   the licensees could be expected to occur as such in the accounts, and as the innkeepers of the other larger   inns   during   this   period   can   be   accounted   for,   the   possible   tenants   of   this   inn   can   be   arrived   at   by   a   process   of   elimination. In the following list of innkeepers those before John Hewitt are therefore conjectural, although the dates tally well: 1611   Thomas   Gold   (or   Gould)   appears   in   the   account   for   1611   as   being   paid   for   the   accommodation   of   a   soldier   and   "Thomas Gold mercer" occurs in the rate for 1614. 1656-1685   John   Gold   (or   Gould)   occurs   in   the   accounts   as   an   innkeeper,   being   paid   for   beer   on   a   number   of   occasions.   He   was also   a   baker   and   probably   a   descendant   and   successor   of   the   earlier   Thomas   Gold,   whose   designation   'mercer'   indicated   a dealer in several commodities. 1685-1714   Benjamin   Phippard   was   an   innkeeper,   being   paid   for   beer   and   the   accommodation   of   travelers   on   many   occasions between 1685 and 1711. He died in October 1714. 1715-   1732   John   Hewitt   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   and   in   the   churchwardens   accounts   as   an   innkeeper.   He   appears   to have   been   a   Dorchester   man,   as   when   he   was   married   to   Elizabeth   Bartlett   of   this   parish   on   17   February   1711   he   was   described as   "John   Hewytt   of   Dorchester."   He   was   one   of   the   churchwardens   in   1727   and   his   account   is   written   in   beautiful   'copper-plate' writing. He died in 1732. 1732-   1737   Elizabeth   Hewitt,   widow   of   John   Hewitt   again   occurs   in   both   the   alehouse   registers   and   churchwardens   accounts.   In the rate lists she appears as paying rate "for Meerings Late." 1738-1743 Thomas   Burt   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   which   do   not   at   this   time   give   the   names   of   the   inns.   He   is   presumed   to have been licensee of this inn as all the others in the register can be accounted for. 1745-1747   Elizabeth   Strattord   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   and   is   the   former   Elizabeth   Hewitt,   widow.   She   was   remarried   in December   1737,   to   Francis   Stratford,   and   her   retirement   from   an   active   part   in   the   business   at   that   time   would   account   for Thomas Burt becoming licensee. She died a widow in 1757. 1749-1750 Peter Phippard occurs in the alehouse registers. 1750-1762   William   Jones   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   as   licensee   of   the   Kings   Head.   In   the   rate   lists   from   1758   to   1763   he is given as paying rate sometimes for "Meerings"   and   sometimes   for   "Stratfords"   and   this   Meering   -   Hewitt   -   Stratford   -   Jones   relationship   in   the   rates   enables   the licensees from John Hewitt onwards to be definitely established. 1763-   1769   Peter   Phippard   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   as   licensee   of   the   Kings   Head,   and   could   be   the   same   Peter Phippard who occurs in 1749-50. 1770-1776   William   Scott   occurs   as   licensee   of   the   Kings   Head   in   the   last   alehouse   register   of   1770,   and   in   the   rate   lists   is   paying Id. rate on his stock of beer until 1776. 1777-1830   James   Kitcatt   replaces   William   Scott   in   the   rate   list   for   1777,   and   on   the   Isaac   Taylor   map   of   that   year   is   shown   as tenant   of   the   Drax   Arms.   53   years   later   James   Kitcatt   appears   as   licensee   in   the   trade   directory   for   1830,   but   this   could   have been a son and namesake. In   the   following   list   of   later   Drax Arms   innkeepers   the   dates   before   1885   are   from   trade   directories   which   appeared   at   infrequent intervals   and   are   therefore   approximate   only.   The   later   dates   have   been   obtained   from   electoral   lists   and   information   kindly supplied by Messrs Hall and Woodhouse Ltd. of Blandford:- 1842 - 1844 John Vivian 1846-1852 James Vincent 1855-1865 John Vallis 1867 Mrs. Cresdee 1871 Samuel Strickland 1875 Matilda Strickland 1880-1902 James Arnold 1902-1925 Richard Kellaway 1925- 1939 Silvester Corbin 1939-1950 Alfred Playford 1950-1951 Margaret Playford 1951 -1953 Clifford Kirk 1953- 1955 John Carter 1955-1966 Ronald Boulton 1966-1967 Anthony Kircher -Smith 1967 Peter Phillips The Kings Arms From   entries   in   the   churchwardens   accounts   this   appears   to   have   been   one   of   the   larger   inns,   and   would   be   expected   to   have occupied   a   corner   site   with   yard   and   outbuildings   at   the   rear.   The   rating   lists   indicate   that   it   ceased   to   function   as   an   inn   in1770 or   1775,   the   entries   in   the   rate   lists   from   1775   until   1778   reading   "James   Burgess   Junr.   late   Kings   Arms."   According   to   the   1777 map   James   Burgess   was   holding   (in   addition   to   two   small   cottages   in   West   Street   and   Butt   Lane)   what   is   now   no.   17   North   Street, adjoining   the   corner   shop.   This   latter   property   which   in   1777   was   described   as   "House   &c   garden   Shop   &c"   occupied   a   corner   site with   a   yard   and   outbuildings   at   the   rear,   and   is   therefore   most   likely   to   have   been   the   Kings   Arms,   particularly   as   Blind   Street would formerly have been one of the main easterly routes out of the village by way of Woodbury Hill. The following list of innkeepers is traced from the alehouse registers and parish rates: 1624-1654 Tobias Norris occurs in the rating lists and as an innkeeper in the churchwardens accounts. 1655-1657   William   Norris   occurs   in   the   rates   and   was   the   son   of   Tobias,   having   been   baptised   on   19   March   1614.   He   probably continued as innkeeper well beyond 1657. 1678-1717   Richard   Norris   occurs   in   the   rate   lists   and   as   an   inn-keeper   in   the   accounts   at   various   times   between   1685   and   1711.   He was probably the son of William Norris taking over as licensee at some time between 1657 and 1678. He died in May 1717. 1717-1734   Abraham   Lovelace   occurs   as   an   innkeeper   in   the   churchwardens   accounts   and   in   the   alehouse   registers.   He   cannot   be definitely   assigned   to   this   inn,   as   the   rate   payer   for   this   period   is   not   nominated,   but   he   conveniently   fits   the   dates   and   cannot   be assigned to any of the other known inns. 1735-1749   Stephen   Masters   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers,   and   in   the   rates   for   1735   -   1738   the   items   read   "Stephen   Masters   for Norrices   late."   In   the   rates   for   1724   and   1725   the   property   is   named   as   "ye   Kings   Arms",   thereby   establishing   the   relationship with the Norrises and Stephen Masters. From   1750   to   1753   no   licensee   which   can   be   assigned   to   this   inn   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers,   although   the   rate   was   being   paid by Joy Burgess (a man) from 1750 until 1774. 1754-1770   Henry   Bartlett   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   as   licensee   of   the   Kings   Arms,   and   is   paying   Id.   rate   on   his   stock   of   beer 1764-1767 and 1775-1777. The   date   when   the   Kings   Arms   ceased   to   be   an   inn   is   therefore   uncertain.   The   relevant   items   in   the   rates   for   1771-1774   read   "Joy Burgess   Late   (Kings   Arms),"   and   it   is   apparent   that   the   word   late   refers   to   the   property   rather   than   the   ratepayer,   as   Joy   Burgess was paying rate on his stock of malt until 1774 and died in February 1775. The Crown Again   this   was   one   of   the   larger   inns.   According   to   the   rates   for   1777   the   tenant   was   James   Chipp   and   Isaac   Taylor's   map   of   that year   shows   him   to   have   been   occupying   a   building   situated   upon   what   is   now   a   lawn   between   no.'s   88   and   89   West   Street.   The present   drive   immediately   west   of   no.   89   gave   access   to   the   rear   yard   and   outbuildings,   the   remains   of   which   still   exist,   showing it   to   have   been   on   the   usual   corner   site   pattern.   The   fire   of   1788   actually   started   in   the   Crown   so   that   it   was   completely   destroyed, but it was afterwards rebuilt, as the 1844 tithe map shows   a   building   on   the   site   described   as   "House   and   garden"   occupied   by   William   Woolfrey,   and   a   still   existing   Victorian photograph   shows   it   to   have   been   subsequently   used   as   a   post   office.   Part   of   the   doorstep   of   this   building   can   still   be   seem   at   the side   of   the   footpath.   The   following   list   of   innkeepers   has   been   traced   by   means   of   the   alehouse   registers,   parish   rates   and churchwardens accounts: 1614-1664   Robert   Sexey   occurs   in   the   rates   until   1657   and   in   the   1662-4   hearth   tax   returns   he   was   required   to   pay   tax   on   4 hearths,   indicating   a   sizeable   building   by   17th   century   village   standards.   The   period   was   probably   covered   by   a   father   and   son   of the   same   name   as   "Robert   son   of   Robert   Sexey"   was   baptised   on   7   April   1619,   and   two   Robert   Sexey's,   senior   and   junior,   occur   in the   1641   protestation   returns.   The   1614   rate   entry   reads   "Robert   Sexey   for   John   Dawe   his   tenement"   and   could   refer   to   the   John Daw   who   occurs   in   the   1542   muster   roll   and   whose   name   is   carved   as   a   churchwarden   on   one   of   the   church   pews.   Robert   Sexey   is named as an innkeeper in the account for 1632. 1678-1690   Andrew   Sexey,   presumably   a   son   of   Robert,   occurs   in   the   rates,   and   as   an   innkeeper   in   the   accounts,   and   succeeded   as licensee   at   some   time   between   1664   and   1678.   It   is   significant   that   in   those   years   when   the   Crown   is   referred   to   by   name,   Andrew Sexey is not, and vice versa.1691-1698 Elizabeth Sexey, widow occurs as ratepayer and as an innkeeper in the accounts. 1699-1719   George   Sargent   occurs   as   ratepayer   for   1699,   and   in   the   alehouse   registers   for   1718   and   1719.   The   alehouse   registers are incomplete for 1720-22 and the rate lists do not name the tenants from 1700 to 1740. 1727-1734 Hanna Brabant occurs in the alehouse registers and may possibly have been licensee of the Crown. 1735-1777   James   Chipp   occurs   in   the   rate   lists   from   1741   and   in   the   alehouse   registers   as   licensee   of   the   Crown.   He   died   in   June 1777. 1778   Samuel   Simmons   occurs   in   the   rate   list   in   place   of   James   Chipp   in   1778,   the   last   year   for   which   18th   century   parish   rates exist. John   Purchase   occurs   as   ratepayer   for   an   isolated   surviving   rate   list   of   1820,   but   this   item   could   refer   to   the   Crown   Inn   at Milborne   Stileham   which   then   formed   part   of   this   parish.   The   Bere   Regis   'Crown'   was   not   functioning   as   an   inn   in   1630   when   the first trade directory appeared. The New Inn In   spite   of   its   name   this   was   one   of   the   oldest   of   the   village   inns   and   contained   3   hearths   in   1662.   It   does   not   figure   by   name   in the   alehouse   registers   which   give   the   names   of   the   other   inns   after   1753,   and   is   therefore   more   difficult   to   trace   after   about   1700 when   the   names   of   occupying   tenants   are   not   named   in   the   rates.   Although   it   seems   to   have   ceased   to   be   an   inn   before   1753   the property   was   still   called   the   New   Inn   for   rating   purposes   until   1820   and   was   also   so   called   on   the   1844   tithe   map,   which   shows   it to   have   been   situated   on   the   north   side   of   West   Street,   at   the   far   west   end   on   the   site   of   the   present   no.   45   and   extending somewhat   beyond   the   end   of   the   present   terrace   of   cottages.   In   1777   the   property   was   held   by   "S.   Gould   &   Whennel,"   and   in   1844 by Sarah Gould at which time   it   is   described   as   "New   Inn   Garden   Yards   &   Buildings."   It   is   not   named   as   a   public   house   in   the   trade   directories   which commence   in   1830,   but   in   1842   Sansom   Gould   is   described   as   a   beer   retailer,   and   Mrs.   Sarah   Gould   occurs   as   a   beer   retailer   in the   directories   for   1846,   1851   and   1853,   as   does   also   Mrs.   Elizabeth   Gould   in   1859   and   Thomas   Gould   in   1865.   In   the   following list of innkeepers the later ones are conjectural: 1614-1631 William Penny occurs in the rates "for the new Inn." He died in May 1631. 1632-1657   William   Wilcox   occurs   in   the   rates,   and   in   the   account   for   1653   he   received   payments   for   the   accommodation   of travellers, but this could have been in his capacity of constable which post he then held. 1662-1664   Elizabeth   Wilcox,   presumably   a   widow,   occurs   in   hearth   tax   returns.   She   could   have   been   William   Wilcox's   widow, although a William Wilcox died in 1671, 1678-1690   Henry   Trew   occurs   as   ratepayer.   A   "Henery   Trim"   occurs   as   an   innkeeper   in   the   churchwardens   account   for   1687,   and could   be   the   same   name.   In   17   century   writing   there   are   many   variations   of   spelling,   when   i's   and   e's   were   often   transposed   and m's and w's looked very much alike. 1691-1703   Elizabeth   Trew,   widow   occurs   in   the   rates,   but   from   1704   onwards,   in   common   with   the   other   inns,   the   rates   are   paid by persons other than the licensees. 1717-1723   Thomas   Fry   appears   in   the   alehouse   registers   and   seems   to   be   associated   in   the   rates   with   George   Chaldecott   who   was one of the ratepayers for the New Inn from 1735-1742. 1727-1728   Mary   Brine,   widow,   occurs   in   the   alehouse   register   in1727   and   in   the   churchwardens   accounts   in   1728,   and   could possibly have been licensee of this inn.1732 William Galton occurs in the alehouse register and could possibly have been licensee. 1733-   1736   John   Whinnel   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   and   could   possibly   have   been   licensee   of   this   inn,   particularly   as   a Whennel is named as one of the tenants in 1777. The   lack   of   further   licensees   in   the   alehouse   registers   suggest   that   the   property   ceased   to   be   a   licensed   inn   as   such   from   this   date, and to have become premises for retail trade only. The Greyhound This   was   one   of   the   smaller   alehouses,   and   from   the   1777   map   appears   to   have   been   situated   in   what   is   now   a   very   small   gap between   numbers   83   &   84   West   Street.   It   does   not   appear   to   have   been   an   alehouse   before   1717   and   ceased   to   function   as such   in   1766. Although   earlier   tenants   can   be   traced   through   the   rates   they   do   not   appear   to   have   been   innkeepers,   and   of   the two following innkeepers only the second is known definitely to have been licensee of this inn: 1717-1722 William Stagg occurs in the alehouse registers for 1718 and 1719, and   occurs   as   an   innkeeper   in   the   churchwardens   accounts   for   1717,   1718,   1721   and   1722.   He   was   also   parish   clerk,   and   died in 1722. He could possibly have been licensee of the Greyhound. 1723-   1766   Richard   Satchell   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   as   licensee   of   the   Greyhound,   and   in   the   churchwardens   accounts as   an   innkeeper.   He   stopped   paying   1d   rate   on   his   stock   of   beer   after   1766   and   no   longer   appeared   in   the   alehouse   register.   He continued   to   pay   rates   on   the   property   until   at   least   1778   when   the   rates   end,   and   a   Richard   Satchell,   presumably   a   son   or   even a grandson was still occupying a house in West Street in 1836. Inn at Shitterton (possibly the Duke William) There   are   no   recognisable   references   to   this   inn   or   its   tenants   in   any   of   the   parish   rates,   and   the   property   is   naturally   not included   in   the   1777   map   of   Henry   Drax's   estate.   However,   no.   12   Shitterton,   a   cottage   adjoining   Dairy   Cottage,   is   traditionally believed   to   have   been   an   inn,   and   may   thus   have   been   the   one   in   question.   In   the   alehouse   registers   up   to1743   the   Shitterton innkeepers are clearly referred to as such: 1715- 1723 Christopher Kerley 1727 - 1733 Mary Kerley, widow 1736- 1738 William Day 1742 - 1743 Edward Moores The following innkeepers occur in the alehouse registers and could have been licensees of the Shitterton inn. 1745- 1746 Elianor Lockyer 1748 Samuel Cuff 1749- 1750 James Seare The   Duke   William   is   named   in   the   alehouse   registers   in   1753   and   1754,   and   as   it   cannot   be   identified   elsewhere,   could   well   have been the name of the Shitterton Inn 1752- 1756 George Samways occurs as licensee of the Duke William. 1759 Robert Talbot occurs in the alehouse registers and cannot be assigned to any other inn. The Sailor or Taphouse It   is   known   that   an   inn   of   some   sort   was   situated   on   Woodbury   Hill,   and   indeed   it   would   be   surprising   if   it   had   been   otherwise   in view of the number of potential patrons always available during the week of the fair. Some cottagers on the hill are said   to   have   taken   out   special   licences   to   sell   beer   for   the   week   of   the   fair   only,   and   it   would   seem   that   this   was   also   the   case   for the   inn   which   does   not   figure   in   the   alehouse   registers.   It   can   be   imagined   that   an   inn   so   situated   would   have   had   more   trade   in the   one   week   than   some   of   the   others   during   the   whole   year.   The   building   of   this   inn   is   recorded   in   the   Gould   family   notebook and its construction appears to have been as rapid as its sales of liquor must have been: "Memorandum   ye   salor   or   taphouse   was   builded   in   ye   yeare   1746   in   July   at   woodberyhill   ye   burges   (Burgesses,   a   local   building firm) builded it in 7 days wee had 11 bushels of Lime ye side walls was about 10 foot high & ye end is about 13 foot high."   The Horse and Jockey Bere   Heath   farmhouse   was   at   one   time   an   inn   or   alehouse,   but   this   use   was   of   comparatively   short   duration.   It   occurs   as   such   in the   trade   directory   for   1875-"Haggett,   Thomas,   Horse   &   Jockey"-but   not   in   those   for   1871   or   1880.   It   is   said   to   have   been   forcibly closed   as   a   result   of   a   certain   amount   of   unruly   behaviour   in   the   neighbourhood   for   which   the   inn   was   considered   responsible. Presumably   a   long   walk   back   from   one   of   the   village   inns   was   thought   to   have   a   sufficiently   sobering   effect.   The   signboard   of   this inn is said to have survived with the Haggett family until relatively recent years.
Search:
Bere Regis Village Website

The Old Village Inns & Innkeepers

© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.
There   is   some   peculiar   fascination   about   the   study   of old    inns,    particularly    in    cases    where    they    have subsequently   undergone   a   change   of   use,   or   where they    have    disappeared    altogether.    This    is    possibly due   to   their   having   been   in   former   days   the   scene   of   village   life   in,   as   it were,   concentrated   form,   such   gatherings   having   taken   place   in   what may   now   be   an   ordinary   cottage   or   nothing   more   than   a   gap   in   the village    street.    The    17th    and    18th    century    public    houses    were    of varying   sorts   and   sizes,   from   the   larger   inns   catering   for   travellers   and visitors,   to   the   more   humble   alehouses   catering   almost   exclusively   for local custom. These    latter    establishments    were    usually    no    more    than    ordinary dwellings   licensed   to   sell   beer,   where   the   patrons   would   simply   sit   and drink   around   the   kitchen   or   living   room   table. As   they   were   primarily   for local   custom,   stabling   accommodation,   signs   or   other   distinguishing features were unnecessary, and hence   in   such   buildings   which   have   subsequently   reverted   to   private dwellings   there   are   no   visible   features   to   indicate   their   former   use. The larger   inns,   however,   are   recognisable   by   their   basic   plan   form,   being usually     located     on     a     corner     site     with     a     yard     and     stabling accommodation   at   the   rear,   such   as   is   still   evident   at   the   present Royal Oak and Drax Arms. In   the   18th   century   there   were   at   least   seven   public   houses   in   Bere Regis;   the   Royal   Oak,   Kings   Arms,   Kings   Head,   Crown,   New   Inn, Duke    William    and    Greyhound-and    information    concerning    them    is obtainable   from   a   number   of   sources.   Firstly,   the   Dorset   Alehouse Registers   cover   the   period   1714-1770.   Before   1753   the   names   of   the licensees   only   are   given,   but   after   that   date   the   names   of   the   inns   are frequently   given   also,   providing   a   complete   picture   for   the   years   1753- 1770.    With    this    latter    period    as    a    starting    point    it    then    becomes possible   to   trace   the   inns   further   by   means   of   the   churchwardens   and overseers accounts, particularly the rate assessment lists. The    parish    rate    lists    go    back    to    1614,    and    although    they    are incomplete   for   a   large   part   of   the   17th   century,   they   exist   for   each   year from   1678   to   1778.   When   the   churchwardens   or   overseers   drew   up the   list   of   ratepayers   for   a   particular   year   they   naturally   made   use   of the   previous   year's   list   as   a   basis,   and   consequently   the   names   of   the ratepayers   occur   in   the   same   order   year   by   year.   A   change   of   tenant can   therefore   be   easily   spotted   by   this   means   alone,   but   in   addition this   is   sometimes   confirmed   by   a   reference   to   the   previous   tenant,   e.g. "Stephen   Masters   for   Norrices   late,"   which   occurs   in   the   rates   for 1735-38. Sometimes   when   a   property   lay   vacant   the   lord   of   the   manor   was required   to   pay   the   rate,   and   in   such   cases   the   name   of   the   property   is often   mentioned,   for   example   in   1724   and   1725   this   item   occurs   in   the rate: "Major Duckett & his Lady's Sistrs for ye Kings Arms." As    this    latter    item    occupies    the    same    position    in    the    list    as    the previous   item   concerning   Stephen   Masters   and   Richard   Norris,   both   of whom    are    known    to    have    been    innkeepers    from    entries    in    the expenditure   section   of   the   churchwardens   accounts,   their   association with the Kings Arms is therefore established. The   expenditure   section   of   the   churchwardens   accounts   gives   clear indications   of   the   names   of   innkeepers   by   items   in   which   they   are nominated   as   receiving   payments   for   beer   for   the   ringers,   for   beer consumed at church meetings (which incidentally   appear   to   have   taken   place   at   the   various   inns   in   turn,   in order      presumably      to      avoid      unfair      patronage)      and      for      the accommodation    of    passing    travelers    for    whom    the    churchwardens were responsible. Where    the    name    of    the    tenant    is    known,    the    1662-64    hearth    tax returns   can   give   an   indication   of   the   size   of   an   inn   at   that   period,   and show   whether   or   not   an   innkeeper   was   living   at   a   time   not   covered   by either    church    rates    or    parish    register    transcripts.    The    register transcripts   themselves   are   useful   in   clarifying   otherwise   mysterious successions   when   the   property   passed   to   a   son-in-law   or   where   a widow may have remarried. It   is   fortunate   that   the   rate   lists,   extending   to   1778,   go   just   far   enough to   be   read   in   conjunction   with   the   1777   Isaac   Taylor   map,   enabling some   of   the   old   inns   to   be   located   with   near   certainty,   and   in   the   same way   the   1844   tithe   map   can   be   read   in   conjunction   with   the   19th century trade directories and census returns. The   following   notes   are   derived   from   the   various   sources   described above, and are dealt with under the heading of the inns concerned: The Royal Oak In spite of a sign in the entrance hall claiming that the Royal Oak was established in 1720, it can in fact be traced back to at least 1614, and is referred to by name in 1712. The present building probably dates from just after the fire of 1788, but its predecessor appears from the 1777 map to have been of approximately the same size and shape, and in 1662 it contained 5 hearths, denoting a fairly large building by 17th century village standards. The following innkeepers have been traced from entries in the churchwardens accounts and rate lists, and from the Dorset alehouse registers: 1614-1639 Peter Melmouth occurs in the first rate list and probably held the property for several years before that date. 1639-1642 Luce Melmouth, widow, continued as tenant after her husband's death, at least until 1642 and probably beyond, but it is not possible to ascertain the precise date due to a lack of both rate lists and register transcripts for this period. Neither is it possible to say with certainty that the Melmouths were innkeepers, as in the early churchwardens accounts, individual innkeepers were not named, such items being dealt with collectively for a whole year. 1654- 1656 Thomas Joyner succeeded Luce Melmouth at some time between 1642 and 1654 as the item in the rate list reads "Thomas Joyner for Melmouths", and he is known to have been an innkeeper from items in the accounts for 1654 and 1656. 1657-1674 Maud Joyner, widow, continued after her husband's death, presumably until her own death in 1674. 1678- 1680 William Joyner occurs in the rates, and probably commenced his tenancy in 1674. 1681 Barnabas Joyner succeeded his brother William. 1682-1699 Widow Joyner, presumably Barnabas's widow, appears to have moved to London in 1699, but continued to pay the rate until 1705. Owing to its long association with this family the property seems generally to have been known as "Joyners" at least until 1712 when it is referred to in the rates by its present name. 1699-1709 John Sargent appears as an innkeeper in the accounts from 1699 and paid the rates from 1706 until 1709. From 1710 until about 1740 the rates on most of the village inns were paid by someone other than the licensee, possibly due to the inns having been sold to private owners, or to some government legislation requiring inns to be in the hands of a responsible citizen, in the case of the Royal Oak a certain Mr. Martin who later became Dr. Martin. As a result of this the name of the licensee is uncertain from 1710 until the alehouse registers commence in 1714. 1714 Richard Hardy 1715-1722 Robert Hardy 1722- 1736 Margaret Hardy, widow succeeded Robert Hardy after his death. As a matter of interest she is referred to as Margaret Sargent by one of the churchwardens in 1732, suggesting that this might have been her maiden name. This would account for the association of Sargents and Hardys with the property, as it was quite common for tenancies to remain in the same family. 1737-1754 David Chappell was the innkeeper although Margaret Hardy continued to pay the rate. 1755-1757 Margaret Hardy re-occurs as licensee, and died in 1758. 1758- 1777 John Sargent probably a relative of Margaret Hardy and descendant of the earlier John Sargent. He is paying rate on his stock of beer until 1774 after which he is succeeded by Robert Burgess, although the 1777 map shows John Sargent to be still tenant at that date. He died in November 1777. In the following list of Royal Oak innkeepers the dates before 1885 are from trade directories which appeared at infrequent intervals and are therefore approximate only. The later dates have been obtained from electoral lists and information kindly supplied by brewers Strong and Co. of Romsey: 1830-1844 John Casher 1846-1855 Sarah Hillier 1859- 1880 Joseph Knowles 1885-1903 William George 1903-1911 William Hobbs 1911-1923 Samuel Matthews 1923-1935 William Holladay 1936-1946 Victor Lock 1947- 1951 George Kerton 1951-1957 Ernest Garner 1957-1959 John McDonald 1959- 1976 Desmond Powell 1976 Fraute Cottrell The Drax Arms (Kings Head) As   previously   mentioned   this   inn   is   of the   usual   pattern   for   one   of   the   larger establishments   and   suggests   that   it has   been   so   from   at   least   the   17th century,   but   it   could   not   have   acquired its   present   name   until   after   Henry   Drax   had   bought   the   Bere Regis   estate   from   the   surviving   Turbervilles   in   1733.   It   does not   therefore   appear   by   this   name   in   the   alehouse   registers even   in   1770   when   they   end,   but   by   1777   it   is   referred   to   as the   Drax's   Arms   on   the   1777   map   with   the   tenant   named   as James   Kitcatt.   On   referring   to   the   overseers   rate   lists   it   can be   determined   that   James   Kitcatt   succeeded   William   Scott who   is   known   to   have   been   the   licensee   of   the   Kings   Head   in 1770    from    the    alehouse    register    of    that    year,    indicating therefore   that   the   name   was   changed   from   the   Kings   Head   to the   Drax   Arms   at   some   time   between   1770   and   1777.   This then   enables   the   property   to   be   traced   with   certainty   back   to the   early   18th   century   by   means   of   a   combination   of   the alehouse registers and parish rates. Before    1715    however,    the    names    of    the    licensees    are uncertain.   For   rating   purposes   the   property   was   known   as 'Meerings"   at   least   until   1763,   and   as   such   can   be   traced back   to   William   Meering   who   occurs   in   the   1662   hearth   tax returns,   and   possibly   to   Henry   Meeren   who   occurs   in   the 1641   protestation   returns.   William   Meering   held   the   property until   his   death   in   1685   after   which   he   was   succeeded   by   his widow   until   1692.   Richard   Meering   was   ratepayer   in   1693, but   the   property   passed   to   Edward   Barnes   or   Barons   in   1694 who   was   in   turn   succeeded   by   his   widow   from   1702   to   1704. In   1700   &   1701   Edward   Barnes   is   described   in   the   rate   list   as "of    Corfe    Castle".    From    this    time    onwards    the    property generally   occurs   in   the   rate   as   "Owners   or   occupiers   of   the tenent,   called   Meerings,"   although   "Robt.   Burgess   or   other tenent.   of   ye   tenent.   called   Meerings"   occurs   in   1705   and 1710, and "Eliz. Meering or tennt." occurs in 1711. The   rate   list   entries   quoted   indicate   that   during   this   period   the ratepayers   were   not   necessarily   occupiers   or   licensees,   and this    is    confirmed    by    the    fact    that    the    names    Meenng    or Barnes   do   not   figure   among   the   innkeepers   appearing   in   the churchwardens   accounts.   As   the   Drax   Arms/Kings   Head   was one   of   the   larger   establishments   capable   of   accommodating travelers,   the   licensees   could   be   expected   to   occur   as   such   in the accounts, and as the innkeepers of the other larger    inns    during    this    period    can    be    accounted    for,    the possible   tenants   of   this   inn   can   be   arrived   at   by   a   process   of elimination.   In   the   following   list   of   innkeepers   those   before John   Hewitt   are   therefore   conjectural,   although   the   dates   tally well: 1611   Thomas   Gold   (or   Gould)   appears   in   the   account   for 1611   as   being   paid   for   the   accommodation   of   a   soldier   and "Thomas Gold mercer" occurs in the rate for 1614. 1656-1685   John   Gold   (or   Gould)   occurs   in   the   accounts   as an   innkeeper,   being   paid   for   beer   on   a   number   of   occasions. He    was    also    a    baker    and    probably    a    descendant    and successor   of   the   earlier   Thomas   Gold,   whose   designation 'mercer' indicated a dealer in several commodities. 1685-1714   Benjamin   Phippard   was   an   innkeeper,   being   paid for    beer    and    the    accommodation    of    travelers    on    many occasions between 1685 and 1711. He died in October 1714. 1715-   1732   John   Hewitt   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   and in   the   churchwardens   accounts   as   an   innkeeper.   He   appears to   have   been   a   Dorchester   man,   as   when   he   was   married   to Elizabeth   Bartlett   of   this   parish   on   17   February   1711   he   was described   as   "John   Hewytt   of   Dorchester."   He   was   one   of   the churchwardens   in   1727   and   his   account   is   written   in   beautiful 'copper-plate' writing. He died in 1732. 1732-   1737   Elizabeth   Hewitt,   widow   of   John   Hewitt   again occurs    in    both    the    alehouse    registers    and    churchwardens accounts.   In   the   rate   lists   she   appears   as   paying   rate   "for Meerings Late." 1738-1743    Thomas    Burt    occurs    in    the    alehouse    registers which   do   not   at   this   time   give   the   names   of   the   inns.   He   is presumed   to   have   been   licensee   of   this   inn   as   all   the   others in the register can be accounted for. 1745-1747     Elizabeth     Strattord     occurs     in     the     alehouse registers   and   is   the   former   Elizabeth   Hewitt,   widow.   She   was remarried   in   December   1737,   to   Francis   Stratford,   and   her retirement   from   an   active   part   in   the   business   at   that   time would   account   for   Thomas   Burt   becoming   licensee.   She   died a widow in 1757. 1749-1750 Peter Phippard occurs in the alehouse registers. 1750-1762   William   Jones   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   as licensee   of   the   Kings   Head.   In   the   rate   lists   from   1758   to 1763 he is given as paying rate sometimes for "Meerings"   and   sometimes   for   "Stratfords"   and   this   Meering   - Hewitt   -   Stratford   -   Jones   relationship   in   the   rates   enables   the licensees from John Hewitt onwards to be definitely established. 1763-   1769   Peter   Phippard   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers as   licensee   of   the   Kings   Head,   and   could   be   the   same   Peter Phippard who occurs in 1749-50. 1770-1776    William    Scott    occurs    as    licensee    of    the    Kings Head   in   the   last   alehouse   register   of   1770,   and   in   the   rate lists is paying Id. rate on his stock of beer until 1776. 1777-1830   James   Kitcatt   replaces   William   Scott   in   the   rate list   for   1777,   and   on   the   Isaac   Taylor   map   of   that   year   is shown   as   tenant   of   the   Drax   Arms.   53   years   later   James Kitcatt   appears   as   licensee   in   the   trade   directory   for   1830,   but this could have been a son and namesake. In   the   following   list   of   later   Drax   Arms   innkeepers   the   dates before   1885   are   from   trade   directories   which   appeared   at infrequent   intervals   and   are   therefore   approximate   only.   The later    dates    have    been    obtained    from    electoral    lists    and information   kindly   supplied   by   Messrs   Hall   and   Woodhouse Ltd. of Blandford:- 1842 - 1844 John Vivian 1846-1852 James Vincent 1855-1865 John Vallis 1867 Mrs. Cresdee 1871 Samuel Strickland 1875 Matilda Strickland 1880-1902 James Arnold 1902-1925 Richard Kellaway 1925- 1939 Silvester Corbin 1939-1950 Alfred Playford 1950-1951 Margaret Playford 1951 -1953 Clifford Kirk 1953- 1955 John Carter 1955-1966 Ronald Boulton 1966-1967 Anthony Kircher -Smith 1967 Peter Phillips The Kings Arms From   entries   in   the   churchwardens   accounts   this   appears   to have   been   one   of   the   larger   inns,   and   would   be   expected   to have   occupied   a   corner   site   with   yard   and   outbuildings   at   the rear.   The   rating   lists   indicate   that   it   ceased   to   function   as   an inn   in1770   or   1775,   the   entries   in   the   rate   lists   from   1775   until 1778     reading     "James     Burgess     Junr.     late     Kings     Arms." According   to   the   1777   map   James   Burgess   was   holding   (in addition   to   two   small   cottages   in   West   Street   and   Butt   Lane) what   is   now   no.   17   North   Street,   adjoining   the   corner   shop. This   latter   property   which   in   1777   was   described   as   "House   &c garden    Shop    &c"    occupied    a    corner    site    with    a    yard    and outbuildings   at   the   rear,   and   is   therefore   most   likely   to   have been    the    Kings    Arms,    particularly    as    Blind    Street    would formerly   have   been   one   of   the   main   easterly   routes   out   of   the village by way of Woodbury Hill. The following list of   innkeepers   is   traced   from   the   alehouse   registers   and   parish rates: 1624-1654   Tobias   Norris   occurs   in   the   rating   lists   and   as   an innkeeper in the churchwardens accounts. 1655-1657   William   Norris   occurs   in   the   rates   and   was   the   son of    Tobias,    having    been    baptised    on    19    March    1614.    He probably continued as innkeeper well beyond 1657. 1678-1717   Richard   Norris   occurs   in   the   rate   lists   and   as   an inn-keeper   in   the   accounts   at   various   times   between   1685   and 1711.   He   was   probably   the   son   of   William   Norris   taking   over as   licensee   at   some   time   between   1657   and   1678.   He   died   in May 1717. 1717-1734   Abraham   Lovelace   occurs   as   an   innkeeper   in   the churchwardens    accounts    and    in    the    alehouse    registers.    He cannot   be   definitely   assigned   to   this   inn,   as   the   rate   payer   for this    period    is    not    nominated,    but    he    conveniently    fits    the dates and cannot be assigned to any of the other known inns. 1735-1749   Stephen   Masters   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers, and    in    the    rates    for    1735    -    1738    the    items    read    "Stephen Masters   for   Norrices   late."   In   the   rates   for   1724   and   1725   the property   is   named   as   "ye   Kings   Arms",   thereby   establishing the relationship with the Norrises and Stephen Masters. From   1750   to   1753   no   licensee   which   can   be   assigned   to   this inn   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers,   although   the   rate   was being paid by Joy Burgess (a man) from 1750 until 1774. 1754-1770   Henry   Bartlett   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   as licensee   of   the   Kings   Arms,   and   is   paying   Id.   rate   on   his   stock of beer 1764-1767 and 1775-1777. The    date    when    the    Kings    Arms    ceased    to    be    an    inn    is therefore   uncertain.   The   relevant   items   in   the   rates   for   1771- 1774   read   "Joy   Burgess   Late   (Kings   Arms),"   and   it   is   apparent that    the    word    late    refers    to    the    property    rather    than    the ratepayer,   as   Joy   Burgess   was   paying   rate   on   his   stock   of   malt until 1774 and died in February 1775. The Crown Again   this   was   one   of   the   larger   inns.   According   to   the   rates for   1777   the   tenant   was   James   Chipp   and   Isaac   Taylor's   map of   that   year   shows   him   to   have   been   occupying   a   building situated   upon   what   is   now   a   lawn   between   no.'s   88   and   89 West   Street.   The   present   drive   immediately   west   of   no.   89 gave   access   to   the   rear   yard   and   outbuildings,   the   remains   of which   still   exist,   showing   it   to   have   been   on   the   usual   corner site   pattern.   The   fire   of   1788   actually   started   in   the   Crown   so that    it    was    completely    destroyed,    but    it    was    afterwards rebuilt, as the 1844 tithe map shows   a   building   on   the   site   described   as   "House   and   garden" occupied   by   William   Woolfrey,   and   a   still   existing   Victorian photograph   shows   it   to   have   been   subsequently   used   as   a   post office.   Part   of   the   doorstep   of   this   building   can   still   be   seem   at the   side   of   the   footpath.   The   following   list   of   innkeepers   has been   traced   by   means   of   the   alehouse   registers,   parish   rates and churchwardens accounts: 1614-1664   Robert   Sexey   occurs   in   the   rates   until   1657   and   in the   1662-4   hearth   tax   returns   he   was   required   to   pay   tax   on   4 hearths,   indicating   a   sizeable   building   by   17th   century   village standards.   The   period   was   probably   covered   by   a   father   and son   of   the   same   name   as   "Robert   son   of   Robert   Sexey"   was baptised   on   7   April   1619,   and   two   Robert   Sexey's,   senior   and junior,   occur   in   the   1641   protestation   returns.   The   1614   rate entry   reads   "Robert   Sexey   for   John   Dawe   his   tenement"   and could   refer   to   the   John   Daw   who   occurs   in   the   1542   muster roll   and   whose   name   is   carved   as   a   churchwarden   on   one   of the   church   pews.   Robert   Sexey   is   named   as   an   innkeeper   in the account for 1632. 1678-1690   Andrew   Sexey,   presumably   a   son   of   Robert,   occurs in    the    rates,    and    as    an    innkeeper    in    the    accounts,    and succeeded   as   licensee   at   some   time   between   1664   and   1678.   It is   significant   that   in   those   years   when   the   Crown   is   referred   to by    name,    Andrew    Sexey    is    not,    and    vice    versa.1691-1698 Elizabeth    Sexey,    widow    occurs    as    ratepayer    and    as    an innkeeper in the accounts. 1699-1719   George   Sargent   occurs   as   ratepayer   for   1699,   and in    the    alehouse    registers    for    1718    and    1719.    The    alehouse registers   are   incomplete   for   1720-22   and   the   rate   lists   do   not name the tenants from 1700 to 1740. 1727-1734    Hanna    Brabant    occurs    in    the    alehouse    registers and may possibly have been licensee of the Crown. 1735-1777   James   Chipp   occurs   in   the   rate   lists   from   1741   and in   the   alehouse   registers   as   licensee   of   the   Crown.   He   died   in June 1777. 1778   Samuel   Simmons   occurs   in   the   rate   list   in   place   of   James Chipp   in   1778,   the   last   year   for   which   18th   century   parish rates exist. John   Purchase   occurs   as   ratepayer   for   an   isolated   surviving rate   list   of   1820,   but   this   item   could   refer   to   the   Crown   Inn   at Milborne   Stileham   which   then   formed   part   of   this   parish.   The Bere   Regis   'Crown'   was   not   functioning   as   an   inn   in   1630 when the first trade directory appeared. The New Inn In   spite   of   its   name   this   was   one   of   the   oldest   of   the   village inns   and   contained   3   hearths   in   1662.   It   does   not   figure   by name   in   the   alehouse   registers   which   give   the   names   of   the other   inns   after   1753,   and   is   therefore   more   difficult   to   trace after   about   1700   when   the   names   of   occupying   tenants   are not   named   in   the   rates.   Although   it   seems   to   have   ceased   to be   an   inn   before   1753   the   property   was   still   called   the   New Inn   for   rating   purposes   until   1820   and   was   also   so   called   on the   1844   tithe   map,   which   shows   it   to   have   been   situated   on the   north   side   of   West   Street,   at   the   far   west   end   on   the   site   of the   present   no.   45   and   extending   somewhat   beyond   the   end of   the   present   terrace   of   cottages.   In   1777   the   property   was held   by   "S.   Gould   &   Whennel,"   and   in   1844   by   Sarah   Gould   at which time   it   is   described   as   "New   Inn   Garden   Yards   &   Buildings." It   is   not   named   as   a   public   house   in   the   trade   directories which    commence    in    1830,    but    in    1842    Sansom    Gould    is described   as   a   beer   retailer,   and   Mrs.   Sarah   Gould   occurs   as   a beer   retailer   in   the   directories   for   1846,   1851   and   1853,   as does   also   Mrs.   Elizabeth   Gould   in   1859   and   Thomas   Gould   in 1865.   In   the   following   list   of   innkeepers   the   later   ones   are conjectural: 1614-1631    William    Penny    occurs    in    the    rates    "for    the    new Inn." He died in May 1631. 1632-1657    William    Wilcox    occurs    in    the    rates,    and    in    the account       for       1653       he       received       payments       for       the accommodation   of   travellers,   but   this   could   have   been   in   his capacity of constable which post he then held. 1662-1664   Elizabeth   Wilcox,   presumably   a   widow,   occurs   in hearth    tax    returns.    She    could    have    been    William    Wilcox's widow, although a William Wilcox died in 1671, 1678-1690   Henry   Trew   occurs   as   ratepayer.   A   "Henery   Trim" occurs    as    an    innkeeper    in    the    churchwardens    account    for 1687,    and    could    be    the    same    name.    In    17    century    writing there   are   many   variations   of   spelling,   when   i's   and   e's   were often transposed and m's and w's looked very much alike. 1691-1703    Elizabeth    Trew,    widow    occurs    in    the    rates,    but from   1704   onwards,   in   common   with   the   other   inns,   the   rates are paid by persons other than the licensees. 1717-1723   Thomas   Fry   appears   in   the   alehouse   registers   and seems   to   be   associated   in   the   rates   with   George   Chaldecott who   was   one   of   the   ratepayers   for   the   New   Inn   from   1735- 1742. 1727-1728   Mary   Brine,   widow,   occurs   in   the   alehouse   register in1727   and   in   the   churchwardens   accounts   in   1728,   and   could possibly   have   been   licensee   of   this   inn.1732   William   Galton occurs   in   the   alehouse   register   and   could   possibly   have   been licensee. 1733-   1736   John   Whinnel   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   and could   possibly   have   been   licensee   of   this   inn,   particularly   as   a Whennel is named as one of the tenants in 1777. The   lack   of   further   licensees   in   the   alehouse   registers   suggest that   the   property   ceased   to   be   a   licensed   inn   as   such   from   this date, and to have become premises for retail trade only. The Greyhound This   was   one   of   the   smaller   alehouses,   and   from   the   1777 map   appears   to   have   been   situated   in   what   is   now   a   very small   gap   between   numbers   83   &   84   West   Street.   It   does   not appear   to   have   been   an   alehouse   before   1717   and   ceased   to function   as   such   in   1766.   Although   earlier   tenants   can   be traced   through   the   rates   they   do   not   appear   to   have   been innkeepers,    and    of    the    two    following    innkeepers    only    the second is known definitely to have been licensee of this inn: 1717-1722   William   Stagg   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers   for 1718 and 1719, and   occurs   as   an   innkeeper   in   the   churchwardens   accounts for   1717,   1718,   1721   and   1722.   He   was   also   parish   clerk,   and died in 1722. He could possibly have been licensee of the Greyhound. 1723-   1766   Richard   Satchell   occurs   in   the   alehouse   registers as    licensee    of    the    Greyhound,    and    in    the    churchwardens accounts   as   an   innkeeper.   He   stopped   paying   1d   rate   on   his stock    of    beer    after    1766    and    no    longer    appeared    in    the alehouse   register.   He   continued   to   pay   rates   on   the   property until    at    least    1778    when    the    rates    end,    and    a    Richard Satchell,    presumably    a    son    or    even    a    grandson    was    still occupying a house in West Street in 1836. Inn at Shitterton (possibly the Duke William) There   are   no   recognisable   references   to   this   inn   or   its   tenants in   any   of   the   parish   rates,   and   the   property   is   naturally   not included   in   the   1777   map   of   Henry   Drax's   estate.   However, no.    12    Shitterton,    a    cottage    adjoining    Dairy    Cottage,    is traditionally   believed   to   have   been   an   inn,   and   may   thus   have been   the   one   in   question.   In   the   alehouse   registers   up   to1743 the Shitterton innkeepers are clearly referred to as such: 1715- 1723 Christopher Kerley 1727 - 1733 Mary Kerley, widow 1736- 1738 William Day 1742 - 1743 Edward Moores The   following   innkeepers   occur   in   the   alehouse   registers   and could have been licensees of the Shitterton inn. 1745- 1746 Elianor Lockyer 1748 Samuel Cuff 1749- 1750 James Seare The   Duke   William   is   named   in   the   alehouse   registers   in   1753 and   1754,   and   as   it   cannot   be   identified   elsewhere,   could   well have been the name of the Shitterton Inn 1752-   1756   George   Samways   occurs   as   licensee   of   the   Duke William. 1759    Robert    Talbot    occurs    in    the    alehouse    registers    and cannot be assigned to any other inn. The Sailor or Taphouse It    is    known    that    an    inn    of    some    sort    was    situated    on Woodbury   Hill,   and   indeed   it   would   be   surprising   if   it   had been   otherwise   in   view   of   the   number   of   potential   patrons always   available   during   the   week   of   the   fair.   Some   cottagers on the hill are said   to   have   taken   out   special   licences   to   sell   beer   for   the   week of   the   fair   only,   and   it   would   seem   that   this   was   also   the   case for   the   inn   which   does   not   figure   in   the   alehouse   registers.   It can   be   imagined   that   an   inn   so   situated   would   have   had   more trade   in   the   one   week   than   some   of   the   others   during   the whole   year.   The   building   of   this   inn   is   recorded   in   the   Gould family   notebook   and   its   construction   appears   to   have   been   as rapid as its sales of liquor must have been: "Memorandum   ye   salor   or   taphouse   was   builded   in   ye   yeare 1746   in   July   at   woodberyhill   ye   burges   (Burgesses,   a   local building   firm)   builded   it   in   7   days   wee   had   11   bushels   of   Lime ye   side   walls   was   about   10   foot   high   &   ye   end   is   about   13   foot high."   The Horse and Jockey Bere   Heath   farmhouse   was   at   one   time   an   inn   or   alehouse, but   this   use   was   of   comparatively   short   duration.   It   occurs   as such   in   the   trade   directory   for   1875-"Haggett,   Thomas,   Horse &   Jockey"-but   not   in   those   for   1871   or   1880.   It   is   said   to   have been   forcibly   closed   as   a   result   of   a   certain   amount   of   unruly behaviour    in    the    neighbourhood    for    which    the    inn    was considered   responsible.   Presumably   a   long   walk   back   from one    of    the    village    inns    was    thought    to    have    a    sufficiently sobering    effect.    The    signboard    of    this    inn    is    said    to    have survived with the Haggett family until relatively recent years.
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.