Bere Regis Village, Dorset
Bere Regis Village

Bere Regis in the 1819 New British Traveller or Modern Panorama of

England & Wales (Vol. 2) by James Dugdale

Read our Entry in this 1819 Guidebook below... Bere   Reois   —   The   little   market-town   of   Bere   Regis   is   situated   in   the   Blandford   division,   seven-   miles   west   by   north   from Wareham,   and   113   south-west   from   London.   Drs.Stukeley   and   Coker   conjecture   that   this   place   was   the site   of   a   Roman   station   ;   an   opinion   which   is   confirmed   by   a   large   circular   entrenchment   upon   Woodbury Hill,   about   half   a   mile   north-cast   of   the   parish.   The   area   of   this   place,   which   contains   about   ten   acres, is   surrounded   by   triple   ramparts,   that   in   some   places   are   high   and   deep.   On   the   summit,   which commands   a   very   extensive   prospect,   a   fair   is   annually   holden.   This   fair   begins   on   the   Nativity   of the   Virgin,   and   continues   through   the   five   following   days   :   though   of   late   years   it   has   much   decreased,   it was once the most considerable in the west of England. Queen   IClfrida,   to   whom   the   manor   belonged,   is.   said   to-   have   retired   to   her   seat   in   this   place,   ai'teir   the murder   of   her   son-in-law,   Edward   the   Martyr.   Kin;*   John   also   appears   to   have   made   it   his   resilience.   In   the reign   of   Henry   III.   the   manor   was   bestowed   on   Simon   de   Montfort,   Earl   of   Leicester   ;   but,   as   a   consequence   attending   his rebellion,   it   was   taken   from   him,   and   granted   to   the   King's   brother,   Edmund.   Edmund   gave   a   moiety   of   it   to   the Abbess   of Tarent, who,   in   the   reign   of   Edward   the   First,   claimed   lor   her   manor   of   Bere,   a   fair,   a   market,   a   free-warren,   and   the   whole   forest   of   Berc. Her   moiety   of   these   was   granted   her.   At   the   Dissolution,   Henry   VIII.   for   the   sum   of   608/.   16s.   Sd.   granted   the   manor   to   Robert Turberville,   to   whose   ancestors   the   other   moiety   had   belonged   for   ages.   The   mansion   of   the   Turbervilles   still   remains   :   it   is   an ancient   irregular   structure,   built   with   stone,   and   its   windows   contain   various   quarterings   of   the   Tur-   berville   family   and   its alliances. Bere   Regis,   though   it   does   not   appear   ever   to   have   been   represented   in   Parliament,   was   incorporated   in   the   time   of   Edward   the First. Its market is ancient, as appears from King John's having confirmed it to the inhabitants. The   church   is   a   large   and   handsome   structure,   »ivl   contains   numerous   monuments   of   the   Turber-   ville   and   other   families.   The town   of   Bere   Regis   has   suffered   twice   by   fire:   once   in   1634,   and   again   in   1788.   The   number   of   houses   at   present   is   217   ;   of inhabitants,   053.   The   most   distinguished   natives   of   the   place   have   been   James   Turberville,   Bishop   of   Exeter,   and   John   Morton, Archbishop of Canterbury.
Bere Regis Village website
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website

Bere Regis in the 1819 New British Traveller or Modern Panorama of

England & Wales (Vol. 2) by James Dugdale

Read our Entry in this 1819 Guidebook below... Bere   Reois   The   little   market-town   of   Bere   Regis   is   situated in   the   Blandford   division,   seven-   miles   west   by   north   from Wareham,    and    113    south-west    from    London.    Drs.Stukeley and   Coker   conjecture   that   this   place   was   the   site   of   a   Roman station   ;   an   opinion   which   is   confirmed   by   a   large   circular entrenchment   upon   Woodbury   Hill,   about   half   a   mile   north- cast   of   the   parish.   The   area   of   this   place,   which   contains about    ten    acres,    is    surrounded    by    triple    ramparts,    that    in some    places    are    high    and    deep.    On    the    summit,    which commands    a    very    extensive    prospect,    a    fair    is    annually holden.   This   fair   begins   on   the   Nativity   of   the   Virgin,   and continues   through   the   five   following   days   :   though   of   late years    it    has    much    decreased,    it    was    once    the    most considerable in the west of England. Queen   IClfrida,   to   whom   the   manor   belonged,   is.   said   to- have   retired   to   her   seat   in   this   place,   ai'teir   the   murder   of   her son-in-law,   Edward   the   Martyr.   Kin;*   John   also   appears   to have   made   it   his   resilience.   In   the   reign   of   Henry   III.   the manor   was   bestowed   on   Simon   de   Montfort,   Earl   of   Leicester ;   but,   as   a   consequence   attending   his   rebellion,   it   was   taken from    him,    and    granted    to    the    King's    brother,    Edmund. Edmund   gave   a   moiety   of   it   to   the   Abbess   of   Tarent,   who,   in the   reign   of   Edward   the   First,   claimed   lor   her   manor   of   Bere, a   fair,   a   market,   a   free-warren,   and   the   whole   forest   of   Berc. Her    moiety    of    these    was    granted    her.   At    the    Dissolution, Henry   VIII.   for   the   sum   of   608/.   16s.   Sd.   granted   the   manor   to Robert   Turberville,   to   whose   ancestors   the   other   moiety   had belonged    for    ages.    The    mansion    of    the    Turbervilles    still remains   :   it   is   an   ancient   irregular   structure,   built   with   stone, and    its    windows    contain    various    quarterings    of    the    Tur- berville family and its alliances. Bere   Regis,   though   it   does   not   appear   ever   to   have   been represented   in   Parliament,   was   incorporated   in   the   time   of Edward   the   First.   Its   market   is   ancient,   as   appears   from   King John's having confirmed it to the inhabitants. The   church   is   a   large   and   handsome   structure,   »ivl   contains numerous   monuments   of   the   Turber-   ville   and   other   families. The   town   of   Bere   Regis   has   suffered   twice   by   fire:   once   in 1634,   and   again   in   1788.   The   number   of   houses   at   present   is 217   ;   of   inhabitants,   053.   The   most   distinguished   natives   of the   place   have   been   James Turberville,   Bishop   of   Exeter,   and John Morton, Archbishop of Canterbury.
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.