Bere Regis Village, Dorset
 
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website

The Turberville

Family 1202 - 1780

Although   this   family   figured   so   largely   in   Bere   Regis   affairs   from   the   13th   to   the   early   18th   centuries,   exercising   a   powerful   influence   as   lords   of   the manor,   they   had   entirely   disappeared   by   1780.   By   the   first   half   of   the   16th   century   they   had   become   so   numerous   that   it   seems   to have   been   necessary   to   establish   new   branches   at   Wool   and   Winterborne   Whitchurch,   but   in   spite   of   this,   male   descendants   had become   very   scarce   by   the   end   of   the   17th   century. Although   this   complete   extinction   of   a   family   and   name   seems   to   lend   a   certain air   of   unreality   to   them,   it   does   at   the   same   time   add   interest   to   a   study   of   their   history   for   they   were   real   enough,   particularly   no doubt,   to   any   who   may   have   had   reason   to   oppose   them.   At   the   present   time,   perhaps,   the   fictional   D'Urbervilles   of   Hardy's   well- known novel may seem more real than the factual Turberville s upon whom they were based. All   the   Turbervilles   are   said   to   have   descended   from   Sir   Payne   de   Turberviile   who   came   from   France   at   the   time   of   the   Norman conquest   of   1066.   As   a   reward   for   his   services   in   connection   with   the   conquest   of   Glamorganshire   he   was   granted   the   lordship and   castle   of   Coity   in   Wales,   which   remained   in   the   possession   of   his   descendants   until   the   end   of   the   18th   century   when   that particular   branch   became   extinct.   Other   branches   became   subsequently   established   in   Warwickshire,   Wiltshire   and   Berkshire early in the 13th century. John   Turberville   of   Bere   who   occurs   in   the   13th   century   records   is   the   earliest   ancestor   referred   to   in   old   heraldic   surveys,   and   he is   therefore   generally   considered   as   the   founder   of   the   Bere   Regis   family,   but   John   de Turberville   is   recorded   in   1202   as   being   one of   three   `viewers'   or   surveyors   engaged   in   connection   with   building   work   on   King   John's   houses   here.   He   may   of   course   have been   already   living   at   Bere,   but   it   is   equally   possible   that   he   may   have   been   sent   here   specifically   for   this   work,   and   could   account   for the establishment of the family here. The following notes on various members of the family are dealt with under the heading of each successive heir or lord of the manor.             1.   Sir   John   Turberville.   Referred   to   in   a   document   of   unspecified   date   during   the   reign   of   Henry   III   (1216-1272),   and   could   be   the same John Turberville recorded earlier as a viewer in connection with building work on King John's houses in 1202.     2. Sir Brian Turberville. Eldest son and heir of Sir John (1).             3.   Sir   John Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir   Brian   (2).   John Turberville   is   named   as   lord   of   the   Hundred   of   Bere   in   1274,   but this could refer to his son, Sir John (4). Married Ellen (or Elianora).             4.   Sir   John   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir   John   (3),   married   Isabel.   Early   in   the   14th   century   John   Turberville   and   Isabel his   wife   were   jointly   holding   land   in   Bere,   and   were   paying   an   annual   fine   of   4   shillings   due   to   the   king   each   Michaelmas.   This   fine had   been   incurred   by   one   of   his   ancestors   for   illegally   enclosing   in   his   own   land   a   portion   of   the   forest   of   Bere   belonging   to   the   Earl   of   Hereford. Notwithstanding   this,   he   was   Sheriff   for   Dorset   and   Somerset   in   1303   and   1304,   and   knight   of   the   shire   for   Dorset   in   the   parliament   of   1305.   He died in 1309.             5.   Sir   John   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir   John   (4).   He   married   Joan   (or   Joanna)   and   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1309. He died at some time before 1346.             6.   Sir   Richard Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir   John   (5).   His   first   marriage   was   to   Eleanor,   daughter   of   Sir Thomas   Norris   during   which   time his   eldest   son   Robert   was   born.   His   second   marriage   was   to   Cecilia,   sister   of   John,   Lord   Beauchamp   of   Hatch,   when   his   daughter   Juliana   was born.   Sir   Richard   is   referred   to   in   1346   as   holding   land   in   Bere   as   successor   to   his   father,   and   a   Richard   Turberville   is   mentioned   in   1362   as   one   of two collectors of tenths and fifteenths in Dorset. He died in 1362. 7.   Sir   Robert   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir   Richard   (6).   He   was   born   in   1356   and   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1362   at   the age of 6. He married Margaret, daughter of Lord Carew of Bedington, was knighted in 1403 and died in 1424 aged 68.             8.   William   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir   Robert   (7).   He   was   born   in   1394,   and   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1424   at   the age   of   30.   His   first   marriage   was   to   Joan,   daughter   of   Nicholas   Toner   during   which   time   his   four   sons,   John,   Richard,   Hugh   and   Robert   were   born. Three   further   children,   Humphrey,   John   and   Joan   were   born   during   his   second   marriage,   to   Edith,   daughter   of   John   Newburgh.   In   1434   he   was "named   among   the   gentry   of   this   county   who   could   dispend   £10   per   annum".   He   died   in   1451,   and   a   floor   slab   formerly   in   the   south   aisle   of   the church   bore   the   fragmentary   inscription   `Orate   pro   a'i'a'   Will'i-.'   It   probably   marked   his   tomb   as   there   seem   not   to   have   been   any   prominent   William Turbervilles occurring after him.             9.   John Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   William   (8).   He   was   .born   in   1431   and   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1451   at   the   age   of 20.   He   married Alice,   daughter   of   Hugh   Bramshott,   but   their   only   child   or   children   died,   and   at   his   death   he   was   succeeded   by   his   brother   Richard. In   1485   he   was   "Constable   of   oure   castell   of   Corff,   portershipp   of   the   same,   tributes   these   posts   to   his   nephew   John   (11),   but   this   would   make   him both   a   very   young   Sheriff   and   a   very   old   man   at   death,   either   of   which   would   be   unlikely,   especially   as   such   posts   were   more   often   held   by   a `reigning' lord of the manor. In 1486 John (9) would have been aged 55, which seems a reasonable age at which to be Sheriff.             10.   Richard   Turberville.   Brother   and   heir   of   John   (9)   and   second   son   of   William   (8).   His   first   marriage   was   to   Joan   when   a   daughter, Alice   was born.   During   his   second   marriage   to   Joan,   daughter   of   Thomas   Benham   of   Wiltshire,   four   further   children   were   born   -John, Thomas,   Richard   and   Edith.   He   died   in   1505,   and   a   floor   slab   formerly   in   the   south   aisle   of   the   church   bore   the   following fragmentary    inscription    -    Ricardus    Turbervyle    arm.    Quondam    Dorninus    de    Bere    Regis,    et    Johana    uxor    eius;    qui quidem"Richard Turberville, arm bearer, lord of Bere Regis, and Joan his wife; which said".             11.   John Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Richard   (10),   he   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1505.   He   married Isabel,   daughter   of   John   Cheverell   and   had   5   sons-George,   James,   Roger,   Humphrey,   and   Henry;   and   3   daughters-Elizabeth '   Edith   and   Mary.   His   second   son   James,   born   at   Bere,   was   educated   at   Winchester   School,   subsequently   became   a   monk, and   was   admitted   a   fellow   of   New   College,   Oxford   in   1514,   being   made   a   D.D.   in   1532.   From   1521   to   1524   he   was   registrar of   Oxford   University,   and   whilst   prebendary   of   Winchester   in   1555   was   elected   Bishop   of   Exeter   and   consecrated   as   such   on 5   September   the   same   year, As   Bishop   he   endeavoured   to   recover   the   financial   position   of   his   church   which   had   deteriorated under   his   predecessor   Goverdale,   and   acquired   the   manor   of   Crediton   in   Devon.   After   opposing   in   Parliament   the   bill   to restore   first   fruits   and   tenths   to   the   Crown,   and   then   refusing   to   take   the   oath   of   supremacy   of   the   Sovereign,   he   was deprived   of   office   in   1559.   (Queen   Elizabeth   was   a   protestant   Queen,   and   the   Turbervilles   had   always   been   staunch catholics).    In    addition,    together    with    other    bishops    who    had    been    similarly    deprived    of    office,    he    signed    a    letter    of remonstrance   to   the   Queen,   and   as   a   result   spent   a   short   time   in   the Tower   of   London.   He   died   an   ordinary   citizen   in   1570.   John Turberville   died   in 1536   and   ordered   his   body   to   be   buried   in   Bere   Regis   church   in   one   of   the   tombs   in   which   his   father   Sir   Richard   had   been   buried.   He   left   a   farm   at Winterborne Whitchurch to his fifth son, Henry, thus starting this branch of the family.             12.   George   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   John   (11),   he   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1536.   He   married Audrey,   granddaughter   of   Sir   John   Matthewe,   Lord   Mayor   of   London,   and   there   were   4   sons   and   6   daughters-Robert,   Nicholas, Thomas,   William,   Elizabeth,   Edith,   Mary,   Jane,   Dorothy   and   Lucy.   Audrey   was   also   great   niece   of   the   martyr   John   Fisher, Bishop   of   Rochester,   who   was   executed   in   1535. At   Georges   death   in   1547,   he   left   property   at   Wool,   including   the   Woolbridge manor house, to his third son Thomas, thus starting this branch of the family.             13.   Robert   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   George   (12),   he   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1547,   and   died   in 1559. He married Mary, daughter of Roger Maudelyn of Nunny, Somerset and had one son Thomas and one daughter Maudlin. Before   1547   the   lords   of   the   manor   of   Bere   were   entitled   to   only   half   of   the   rents   and   profits   from   it,   the   other   half   or   moiety   as   it   was   called,   having gone   to   the   successive   Abbesses   of   Tarrant   Abbey   until   its   dissolution   in   1539.   In   1547,   Robert   Turberville   purchased   the   other   half   for   £608   16s. 8d.   so   that   from   this   date   the Turbervilles   held   the   whole   manor.   It   is   perhaps   noteworthy   that   this   point   seems   to   mark   the   beginning   of   a   decline   in the   family   fortunes.   Before   the   middle   of   the   16th   century   succession   had   been   almost   without   exception   by   eldest   son   and   heir,   but   after   this   time male   heirs   seem   either   to   have   been   lacking   or   dying   at   an   early   age,   and   succession   fell   to   cousins   and   other   relatives   from   Wool,   until   the complete extinction of the family and name in 1780. Robert   Turberville's   floor   tomb   slab   still   exists   in   the   south   aisle   of   the   church,   but   the   brass   plate   originally   fixed   to   it   has   now   been   removed   to   a safer position on the wall nearby. It bears this latin inscription engraved in gothic lettering: Hic   iacet   Robertus   Turhervyle   Armiger   qui   tempore   suo   procuravit   alteram   dimidiatam   partem   huius   manerii   de   Bere   Regis   (post   dissolutionem Abbatie   de   Tarrant)   et   eandem   adjecit   ac   univit   hereditario   patrimonio   antecessorum   suorum   ad   longa   tempora   dominorum   huius   manerii.   Qui quidem   Robertus   obiit   quinto   die   Aprilis   Anno   Domini   1559.   Cuius   anime   propicietur   clementissimus   Christus   Jesus.   Amen.    TRANSLATION:   Here lies   Robert   Turberville,   arm   bearer,   who   in   his   time   united   the   part   of   the   manor   of   Bere   Regis   belonging   to   Tarrant Abbey   before   its   dissolution,   to the   part   which   he   had   inherited   from   his   forefathers   who   had   been   lords   of   this   manor   from   ancient   times.   Which   said   Robert   died   5 April,   1559.   Be merciful Christ Jesus. Amen.             14.   Thomas   Turberville.   Only   son   and   heir   of   Robert   (13),   he   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1559.   He married Thomasin,   daughter   of   Robert   fitz   James   of   Redlinch,   Somerset,   and   died   in   1587. There   were   no   children   and   he was succeeded by his cousin John from Wool.             15.   John   Turberville.   Cousin   and   heir   of   Thomas   (14),   being   the   eldest   son   and   heir   of   Thomas   of   Woolbridge   and grandson   of   George   (12).   He   was   born   in   1557   and   became   lord   of   the   manor   of   Bere   in   1587.   He   married   Lady   Anne Howard, daughter of             WHO   DECEASED THE   FIRST   OF   JANVARY   1633 AND A'vTv   HIS   WIFE   DAUGHTER TO THOMAS   LORD   HOWARD   VICOVAT   BIKDON   WHO DECEASED THE 21 OF NOVEMBER 1633. There were no children and he was succeeded as lord of the manor by his great nephew.             16.   Sir   John Turberviile.   Great   nephew   and   heir   of   John   (15)   being   a   great   grandson   of   the   original Thomas   of   Woolbridge.   Born   in   1614   or   1619 he   succeeded   his   great   uncle   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1633.   He   married   Joan,   daughter   of   Thomas   Strode   in   about   1640 and   was   knighted   at   some   time   between   1655   and   1666,   probably   in   1660   as   he   was   a   staunch   royalist   and   would therefore   not   have   been   popular   with   the   parliamentary   government   in   power   before   1660.   He   was   Sheriff   of   Dorset   in 1652   and   died   in   1672.   Again,   there   were   no   children   and   he   was   succeeded   by   his   brother.   During   the   civil   wars   and commonwealth   (1642-1660)   the   Turberville   family   ac   a   whole,   who   had   always   been   catholics,   were   decidedly   on   the king's   side,   and   the   manor   house   at   Woolbridge   was   in   1644   said   to   have   been   used   as   a   garrison   for   the   king's   forces.   On 18   January,   1644   the   parliamentary   forces   set   fire   to   a   house   belonging   to   Mr.   Turberville,   and   the   king's   forces   retaliated by   setting   fire   to   the   house   of   Sir   Walter   Erle,   a   staunch   parliamentarian.   The   house   of   Mr.   Turberville   referred   to   could have   been   the   manor   house   at   either   Wool   or   Bere,   but   it   was   probably   the   latter,   as   according   to   Hutchins   the   rear   portion of   the   Bere   house   bore   the   date   1648   denoting   that   this   portion   had   been   rebuilt   in   that   year.   In   such   troubled   times   no   building   work   would   have been   carried   out   unless   in   the   nature   of   urgent   repair   work,   such   as   might   have   been   necessary   after   a   fire.   By   1648   the   parliamentary   forces   had virtually   gained   control,   and   those   who   had   entirely   supported   the   king   were   brought   to   trial,   and   were   in   most   cases   heavily   fined   or   their   property was   sequestered.   In   November   1648   John   Turberville   of   Bere   was   accused   of   `having   supported   the   king's   cause   by   taking   up   arms   himself,   and providing   four   men   and   horses   besides;   to   have   caused   Lulworth   Castle   to   be   made   a   royal   garrison,   to   have   led   a   foot   company   and   to   have quartered   there:   to   have   been   in   arms   at   Sherborne   and   incited   others   to   join   the   king's   side;   and   to   have   raised   a   horse   troop   in   1645   and   to   have served   in   Wareham   garrison'.   He   was   said   at   that   time   to   be   worth   £600   a   year,   and   £200   a   year   unsequestered.   In   June   1651,   presumably   on being   pressed   for   further   payment,   he   claimed   that   he   had   already   paid   £300   in   1643,   and   £400   since   in   cattle,   corn   and   other   goods.   He   was questioned   by   the   County   Commissioners   on   matters   relating   to   the   first   war,   was   discharged   and   said   to   have   lived   quietly   afterwards.   His   official discharge   was   granted   on   the   20   May,   1652.   After   Charles   II   had   been   restored   to   the   throne   in   1660,   an   order   of   Knights   of   the   Royal   Oak   was proposed   as   a   reward   for   those   who   had   remained   loyal   to   the   king,   but   the   scheme   did   not   materialise.   Altogether   617   men   were   to   have   been given   this   honour,   of   whom   13   were   from   Dorset.   This   13,   the   annual   value   of   whose   estates   ranged   from   £600-£5000,   included   Sir   John Turberville, knight, of Bere Regis, whose estate was said to be worth £1500 per year.             17.   Thomas   Turberville.   Brother   and   heir   of   Sir   John   (16).   Born   in   1621   he   became   lord   of   the   manor   in   1672.   He   married   Elizabeth,   daughter   of Thomas   Baskett   of   Dewlish,   and   there   were   three   children-Thomas,   Robert   and   Elizabeth.   He   was   patron   of   the   incumbency   of   Milborne   St. Andrew   in   1680   and   Sheriff   of   Dorset   in   1686.   In   1692   he   was   a   churchwarden   of   Bere   Regis,   and   it   appears   from   the   accounts   of   that   year   that   he overspent by some £19 during his term of office, when a large amount of repair work was carried out on the church. He died in 1701.             18.   Thomas   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Thomas   (17).   He   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1701,   and   married   Mary,   daughter of   Thomas   Trenchard   about   1695.   His   four   sons   all   died   at   an   early   age-Thomas   in   1699,   John   and   Robert   in   1701   and   George   in   1702,   but   his three daughters Mary and twins Frances and Elizabeth survived him. He died on 3 February, 1704.             19.   Mary,   Frances   and   Elizabeth   Turberville.   Daughters   and   coheiresses   of   their   father   Thomas   (18).   Mary   married   Major   William   Duckett   in 1721,   and   died   in   1749.   In   the   churchwardens'   accounts   the   rates   of   parochial   duties   customarily   received   from   the   lord   of   the   manor   are,   after 1704,   attributed   to   "The   Widow   &   Coheirs   of   Esqr   Turberville".   Neither   of   the   twins   Frances   and   Elizabeth   married   and   they   were   never   known   to have   lived   apart. They   (including   their   sister   Mary)   sold   the   manor   to   Henry   Drax   in   1733   and   later   the   twins   moved   to   London,   probably   in   1739   on the   death   of   their   mother.   They   died   within   a   day   or   two   of   each   other,   aged   77,   at   Pursers   Cross,   Fulham,   and   were   buried   together   at   Putney   on the same day in February, 1780. And   so   ends   the   Turberville   saga.   Although   in   the   foregoing   notes   the   name   has   been   spelt   Turberville-as   used   by   later   members   of   the   family-in earlier   times   when   spelling   was   as   individual   a   matter   as   handwriting,   it   appeared   in   a   variety   of   forms:   Turbervill   and   Turbelvill   (1186),   de   Turbvill (1202), Thorberisle (1297), Townberfyld (1552), Turbervyle (1559) and other variants. Below you can see 2 more Turberville Coat of Arms; both for Thomas Turberville (Goldsborough (l) & Knight (r)) From   early   times   the   Turberville   family   as   lords   of   the   manor   used   the   south   aisle   of   the   church   as   their   family   chapel,   and   were   buried   in   the   vault beneath   it. They   were   probably   responsible   for   the   14th   century   rebuilding   and   enlargement   of   the   aisle,   some   parts   of   which   still   remain. There   are two   canopied   altar   tombs   of   the   16th   century,   the   brasses   of   which   situated   in   the   south   aisle   and   are   undoubtedly   Turberville   memorials.   The   floor slabs   which   exist,   and   those   that   are   known   to   have   previously   existed   have   already   been   dealt   with   under   the   notes   on   the   individuals   concerned, but there is a large stone floor slab some 7 feet (2.1m) by 3ft. 6in. (1.05m) bearing this inscription in incised Roman lettering: OSTIUM SEPULCHRI ANTIQUAE FAMILIAE TURBERVILLE 24 JUNIIl, 1710 DOOR OF THE SEPULCHRE OF THE ANCIENT FAMILY OF THE TURBERVILLES Robert   Turberville,   younger   brother   of   Thomas   (18)   the   last   lord   of   the   manor,   seems   to   have   outlived   his   brother   and   was   probably   the   last   to   be buried in the family vault in 1710. Perhaps   the   extinct   Turbervilles   of   Bere   Regis   owe   much   of   the   interest   subsequently   taken   in   them   to   Hardy's   novel   Tess   of the   D'Urbervilles   which   has   already   been   referred   to.   In   the   novel, Tess's   father,   John   Durbeyfield,   a   poor   north   Dorset   carrier, is   told   by   his   vicar   who   had   been   studying   the   derivation   of   surnames,   that   the   name   Durbeyfield   had   probably   derived   from D'Urberville   (the   fictitious   form   of   Turberville)   and   that   he   is   probably   a   descendant   of   that   once   powerful   Kingsbere   (Bere Regis)   family. This   thought   so   intrigues   John   Durbeyfield   and   his   family   that   they   become   convinced   that   they   have   some   real affinity   with   the   D'Urbervilles   in   their   "gr't   family   vault   at   Kingsbere,"   and   go   to   Kingsbere   with   a   vague   idea   of   claiming   some sort   of   inheritance.   This   idea   in   the   novel   is   based   on   actual   instances   where   the   names   of   once   powerful   but   now   extinct families   have   persisted   in   corrupt   form.   In   fact,   in   the   middle   of   the   19th   century   there   was   a   poor   family   of   Torevilles   living   in   Bere Regis, one of whom, believing himself to be a rightful heir of the Turbervilles, was said to have insisted on calling himself "Sir John". There   is   a   tradition   concerning   the   bricked   up   doorway   in   the   south   wall   of   the   south   aisle   of   the   church.   It   is   said   that   a   Turberville when   lord   of   the   manor   had   a   difference   of   opinion   on   some   matter   with   the   vicar   at   the   time,   and   as   a   result   vowed   that   he   would never   again   enter   the   church   doors.   But   they   later   became   reconciled,   and   the   lord   of   the   manor,   in   order   to   resume   his   attendance at   church   and   at   the   same   time   not   to   break   his   vow,   arranged   for   a   new   door   opening   to   be   made.   More   probably   the   opening   was   a   "mason's door", made as a temporary opening to facilitate some extensive building work.
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website

The Turberville

Family 1202 - 1780

Although   this   family   figured   so   largely   in   Bere   Regis   affairs   from   the 13th   to   the   early   18th   centuries,   exercising   a   powerful   influence   as lords   of   the   manor,   they   had   entirely   disappeared   by 1780.   By   the   first   half   of   the   16th   century   they   had become    so    numerous    that    it    seems    to    have    been necessary    to    establish    new    branches    at    Wool    and Winterborne    Whitchurch,    but    in    spite    of    this,    male descendants   had   become   very   scarce   by   the   end   of the   17th   century. Although   this   complete   extinction   of   a family    and    name    seems    to    lend    a    certain    air    of unreality    to    them,    it    does    at    the    same    time    add interest   to   a   study   of   their   history   for   they   were   real enough,   particularly   no   doubt,   to   any   who   may   have had    reason    to    oppose    them.   At    the    present    time, perhaps,   the   fictional   D'Urbervilles   of   Hardy's   well- known   novel   may   seem   more   real   than   the   factual Turbervilles upon whom they were based. All   the   Turbervilles   are   said   to   have   descended   from   Sir   Payne   de Turberviile   who   came   from   France   at   the   time   of   the   Norman   conquest of   1066.   As   a   reward   for   his   services   in   connection   with the    conquest    of    Glamorganshire    he    was    granted    the lordship   and   castle   of   Coity   in   Wales,   which   remained   in the   possession   of   his   descendants   until   the   end   of   the 18th   century   when   that   particular   branch   became   extinct. Other    branches    became    subsequently    established    in Warwickshire, Wiltshire and Berkshire early in the 13th century. John   Turberville   of   Bere   who   occurs   in   the   13th   century   records   is   the earliest    ancestor    referred    to    in    old    heraldic    surveys,    and    he    is therefore   generally   considered   as   the   founder   of   the Bere   Regis   family,   but   John   de   Turberville   is   recorded in   1202   as   being   one   of   three   `viewers'   or   surveyors engaged    in    connection    with    building    work    on    King John's    houses    here.    He    may    of    course    have    been already   living   at   Bere,   but   it   is   equally   possible   that   he may   have   been   sent   here   specifically   for   this   work,   and could account for the establishment of the family here. The   following   notes   on   various   members   of   the   family   are   dealt   with under the heading of each successive heir or lord of the manor.             1.   Sir   John   Turberville.   Referred   to   in   a   document   of   unspecified date   during   the   reign   of   Henry   III   (1216-1272),   and   could   be   the   same John    Turberville    recorded    earlier    as    a    viewer    in    connection    with building work on King John's houses in 1202.     2. Sir Brian Turberville. Eldest son and heir of Sir John (1).             3.   Sir   John   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir   Brian   (2).   John Turberville   is   named   as   lord   of   the   Hundred   of   Bere   in   1274,   but   this could refer to his son, Sir John (4). Married Ellen (or Elianora).             4.   Sir   John   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir   John   (3),   married Isabel.   Early   in   the   14th   century   John   Turberville   and   Isabel   his   wife were   jointly   holding   land   in   Bere,   and   were   paying   an   annual   fine   of   4 shillings   due   to   the   king   each   Michaelmas. This   fine   had   been   incurred by   one   of   his   ancestors   for   illegally   enclosing   in   his   own   land   a   portion of   the   forest   of   Bere   belonging   to   the   Earl   of   Hereford.   Notwithstanding this,   he   was   Sheriff   for   Dorset   and   Somerset   in   1303   and   1304,   and knight   of   the   shire   for   Dorset   in   the   parliament   of   1305.   He   died   in 1309.             5.   Sir   John   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of Sir   John   (4).   He   married   Joan   (or   Joanna)   and succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in 1309. He died at some time before 1346.             6.   Sir   Richard   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir of    Sir    John    (5).    His    first    marriage    was    to Eleanor,   daughter   of   Sir   Thomas   Norris   during which   time   his   eldest   son   Robert   was   born.   His second   marriage   was   to   Cecilia,   sister   of   John, Lord   Beauchamp   of   Hatch,   when   his   daughter Juliana   was   born.   Sir   Richard   is   referred   to   in 1346   as   holding   land   in   Bere   as   successor   to his     father,     and     a     Richard     Turberville     is mentioned   in   1362   as   one   of   two   collectors   of   tenths   and   fifteenths   in Dorset. He died in 1362. 7.   Sir   Robert   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir Richard   (6).   He   was   born   in   1356   and   succeeded his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1362   at   the   age of   6.   He   married   Margaret,   daughter   of   Lord   Carew of   Bedington,   was   knighted   in   1403   and   died   in 1424 aged 68.             8.   William   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Sir   Robert   (7).   He   was born   in   1394,   and   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1424   at the   age   of   30.   His   first   marriage   was   to   Joan,   daughter   of   Nicholas Toner    during    which    time    his    four    sons,    John,    Richard,    Hugh    and Robert   were   born.   Three   further   children,   Humphrey,   John   and   Joan were   born   during   his   second   marriage,   to   Edith,   daughter   of   John Newburgh.   In   1434   he   was   "named   among   the   gentry   of   this   county who   could   dispend   £10   per   annum".   He   died   in   1451,   and   a   floor   slab formerly    in    the    south    aisle    of    the    church    bore    the    fragmentary inscription   `Orate   pro   a'i'a'   Will'i-.'   It   probably   marked   his   tomb   as   there seem   not   to   have   been   any   prominent   William   Turbervilles   occurring after him.             9.   John Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   William   (8).   He   was   .born in   1431   and   succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1451   at   the age   of   20.   He   married   Alice,   daughter   of   Hugh   Bramshott,   but   their only   child   or   children   died,   and   at   his   death   he   was   succeeded   by   his brother   Richard.   In   1485   he   was   "Constable of    oure    castell    of    Corff,    portershipp    of    the same,    tributes    these    posts    to    his    nephew John   (11),   but   this   would   make   him   both   a very    young    Sheriff    and    a    very    old    man    at death,    either    of    which    would    be    unlikely, especially    as    such    posts    were    more    often held   by   a   `reigning'   lord   of   the   manor.   In   1486 John   (9)   would   have   been   aged   55,   which   seems   a   reasonable   age   at which to be Sheriff.             10.   Richard   Turberville.   Brother   and   heir   of   John   (9)   and   second son   of   William   (8).   His   first   marriage   was   to   Joan   when   a   daughter, Alice   was   born.   During   his   second   marriage   to   Joan,   daughter   of Thomas    Benham    of    Wiltshire,    four    further children   were   born   -John,   Thomas,   Richard and   Edith.   He   died   in   1505,   and   a   floor   slab formerly   in   the   south   aisle   of   the   church   bore the      following      fragmentary      inscription      - Ricardus   Turbervyle   arm.   Quondam   Dorninus de    Bere    Regis,    et    Johana    uxor    eius;    qui quidem"Richard   Turberville,   arm   bearer,   lord of Bere Regis, and Joan his wife; which said".             11.   John   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Richard   (10),   he succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1505.   He   married   Isabel, daughter   of   John   Cheverell   and   had   5   sons-George,   James,   Roger, Humphrey,   and   Henry;   and   3   daughters-Elizabeth   '   Edith   and   Mary. His   second   son   James,   born   at   Bere,   was   educated   at   Winchester School,   subsequently   became   a   monk,   and   was   admitted   a   fellow   of New   College,   Oxford   in   1514,   being   made   a   D.D.   in   1532.   From   1521 to   1524   he   was   registrar   of   Oxford   University,   and   whilst   prebendary   of Winchester   in   1555   was   elected   Bishop   of   Exeter   and   consecrated   as such   on   5   September   the   same   year,   As   Bishop   he   endeavoured   to recover   the   financial   position   of   his   church   which   had   deteriorated under   his   predecessor   Goverdale,   and   acquired   the   manor   of   Crediton in   Devon. After   opposing   in   Parliament   the   bill   to   restore   first   fruits   and tenths   to   the   Crown,   and   then   refusing   to   take   the   oath   of   supremacy of   the   Sovereign,   he   was   deprived   of   office   in   1559.   (Queen   Elizabeth was    a    protestant    Queen,    and    the    Turbervilles    had    always    been staunch   catholics).   In   addition,   together   with   other   bishops   who   had been   similarly   deprived   of   office,   he   signed   a letter   of   remonstrance   to   the   Queen,   and   as a   result   spent   a   short   time   in   the   Tower   of London.   He   died   an   ordinary   citizen   in   1570. John   Turberville   died   in   1536   and   ordered his   body   to   be   buried   in   Bere   Regis   church   in one    of    the    tombs    in    which    his    father    Sir Richard   had   been   buried.   He   left   a   farm   at Winterborne    Whitchurch    to    his    fifth    son,    Henry,    thus    starting    this branch of the family.             12.   George   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   John   (11),   he succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1536.   He   married Audrey, granddaughter    of    Sir    John    Matthewe,    Lord Mayor   of   London,   and   there   were   4   sons   and 6      daughters-Robert,      Nicholas,      Thomas, William,   Elizabeth,   Edith,   Mary,   Jane,   Dorothy and   Lucy.   Audrey   was   also   great   niece   of   the martyr   John   Fisher,   Bishop   of   Rochester,   who was   executed   in   1535.   At   Georges   death   in 1547,   he   left   property   at   Wool,   including   the Woolbridge   manor   house,   to   his   third   son   Thomas,   thus   starting   this branch of the family.             13.   Robert   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   George   (12),   he succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1547,   and   died   in   1559. He   married   Mary,   daughter   of   Roger   Maudelyn   of   Nunny,   Somerset and had one son Thomas and one daughter Maudlin. Before   1547   the   lords   of   the   manor   of   Bere   were   entitled   to   only   half   of the   rents   and   profits   from   it,   the   other   half   or   moiety   as   it   was   called, having   gone   to   the   successive   Abbesses   of   Tarrant   Abbey   until   its dissolution   in   1539.   In   1547,   Robert   Turberville   purchased   the   other half   for   £608   16s.   8d.   so   that   from   this   date   the   Turbervilles   held   the whole   manor.   It   is   perhaps   noteworthy   that   this   point   seems   to   mark the   beginning   of   a   decline   in   the   family   fortunes.   Before   the   middle   of the   16th   century   succession   had   been   almost   without   exception   by eldest   son   and   heir,   but   after   this   time   male   heirs   seem   either   to   have been   lacking   or   dying   at   an   early   age,   and   succession   fell   to   cousins and   other   relatives   from   Wool,   until   the   complete   extinction   of   the family and name in 1780. Robert   Turberville's   floor   tomb   slab   still   exists   in   the   south   aisle   of   the church,   but   the   brass   plate   originally   fixed   to   it   has   now   been   removed to   a   safer   position   on   the   wall   nearby.   It   bears   this   latin   inscription engraved in gothic lettering: Hic    iacet    Robertus    Turhervyle   Armiger    qui    tempore    suo    procuravit alteram    dimidiatam    partem    huius    manerii    de    Bere    Regis    (post dissolutionem    Abbatie    de    Tarrant)    et    eandem    adjecit    ac    univit hereditario    patrimonio    antecessorum    suorum    ad    longa    tempora dominorum   huius   manerii.   Qui   quidem   Robertus   obiit   quinto   die Aprilis Anno   Domini   1559.   Cuius   anime   propicietur   clementissimus   Christus Jesus.    Amen.     TRANSLATION:    Here    lies    Robert    Turberville,    arm bearer,   who   in   his   time   united   the   part   of   the manor   of   Bere   Regis   belonging   to   Tarrant Abbey before   its   dissolution,   to   the   part   which   he   had inherited    from    his    forefathers    who    had    been lords   of   this   manor   from   ancient   times.   Which said   Robert   died   5 April,   1559.   Be   merciful   Christ Jesus. Amen.             14.   Thomas   Turberville.   Only   son   and   heir   of   Robert   (13),   he succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1559.   He married   Thomasin,   daughter   of   Robert   fitz   James   of Redlinch,   Somerset,   and   died   in   1587.   There   were   no children   and   he   was   succeeded   by   his   cousin   John from Wool.             15.   John   Turberville.   Cousin   and   heir   of   Thomas   (14),   being   the eldest   son   and   heir   of   Thomas   of   Woolbridge and   grandson   of   George   (12).   He   was   born   in 1557   and   became   lord   of   the   manor   of   Bere   in 1587.   He   married   Lady Anne   Howard,   daughter of                     WHO     DECEASED     THE     FIRST     OF JANVARY      1633     AND     A'vTv      HIS      WIFE DAUGHTER    TO    THOMAS    LORD    HOWARD VICOVAT   BIKDON   WHO   DECEASED   THE   21   OF   NOVEMBER   1633. There   were   no   children   and   he   was   succeeded   as   lord   of   the   manor by his great nephew.             16.   Sir   John   Turberviile.   Great   nephew   and   heir   of   John   (15)   being a   great   grandson   of   the   original   Thomas   of   Woolbridge.   Born   in   1614 or   1619   he   succeeded   his   great   uncle   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1633. He   married   Joan,   daughter   of   Thomas   Strode   in   about   1640   and   was knighted   at   some   time   between   1655   and   1666,   probably   in   1660   as he   was   a   staunch   royalist   and   would   therefore   not   have   been   popular with   the   parliamentary   government   in   power   before   1660.   He   was Sheriff   of   Dorset   in   1652   and   died   in   1672.   Again,   there   were   no children   and   he   was   succeeded   by   his   brother.   During   the   civil   wars and   commonwealth   (1642-1660)   the   Turberville   family   ac   a   whole, who   had   always   been   catholics,   were   decidedly   on   the   king's   side,   and the   manor   house   at   Woolbridge   was   in   1644   said   to   have   been   used as    a    garrison    for    the    king's    forces.    On    18    January,    1644    the parliamentary   forces   set   fire   to   a   house   belonging   to   Mr.   Turberville, and   the   king's   forces   retaliated   by   setting   fire   to   the   house   of   Sir Walter   Erle,   a   staunch   parliamentarian.   The   house   of   Mr.   Turberville referred   to   could   have   been   the   manor   house   at   either   Wool   or   Bere, but   it   was   probably   the   latter,   as   according   to   Hutchins   the   rear   portion of   the   Bere   house   bore   the   date   1648   denoting   that   this   portion   had been   rebuilt   in   that   year.   In   such   troubled   times   no   building   work   would have   been   carried   out   unless   in   the   nature   of   urgent   repair   work,   such as   might   have   been   necessary   after   a   fire.   By   1648   the   parliamentary forces    had    virtually    gained    control,    and    those    who    had    entirely supported   the   king   were   brought   to   trial,   and   were   in   most   cases heavily   fined   or   their   property   was   sequestered.   In   November   1648 John   Turberville   of   Bere   was   accused   of   `having   supported   the   king's cause   by   taking   up   arms   himself,   and   providing   four   men   and   horses besides;   to   have   caused   Lulworth   Castle   to   be   made   a   royal   garrison, to   have   led   a   foot   company   and   to   have   quartered   there:   to   have   been in   arms   at   Sherborne   and   incited   others   to   join   the   king's   side;   and   to have   raised   a   horse   troop   in   1645   and   to   have   served   in   Wareham garrison'.   He   was   said   at   that   time   to   be   worth   £600   a   year,   and   £200 a   year   unsequestered.   In   June   1651,   presumably   on   being   pressed   for further   payment,   he   claimed   that   he   had   already   paid   £300   in   1643, and   £400   since   in   cattle,   corn   and   other   goods.   He   was   questioned   by the   County   Commissioners   on   matters   relating   to   the   first   war,   was discharged    and    said    to    have    lived    quietly    afterwards.    His    official discharge   was   granted   on   the   20   May,   1652. After   Charles   II   had   been restored    to    the    throne    in    1660,    an    order    of Knights   of   the   Royal   Oak   was   proposed   as   a reward   for   those   who   had   remained   loyal   to   the king,    but    the    scheme    did    not    materialise. Altogether   617   men   were   to   have   been   given this   honour,   of   whom   13   were   from   Dorset. This 13,   the   annual   value   of   whose   estates   ranged from       £600-£5000,       included       Sir       John Turberville,   knight,   of   Bere   Regis,   whose   estate   was   said   to   be   worth £1500 per year.             17.   Thomas   Turberville.   Brother   and   heir   of   Sir   John   (16).   Born   in 1621   he   became   lord   of   the   manor   in   1672.   He   married   Elizabeth, daughter   of   Thomas   Baskett   of   Dewlish,   and there   were   three   children-Thomas,   Robert   and Elizabeth.   He   was   patron   of   the   incumbency   of Milborne    St.   Andrew    in    1680    and    Sheriff    of Dorset      in      1686.      In      1692      he      was      a churchwarden   of   Bere   Regis,   and   it   appears from     the     accounts     of     that     year     that     he overspent    by    some    £19    during    his    term    of office,   when   a   large   amount   of   repair   work   was   carried   out   on   the church. He died in 1701.             18.   Thomas   Turberville.   Eldest   son   and   heir   of   Thomas   (17).   He succeeded   his   father   as   lord   of   the   manor   in   1701,   and   married   Mary, daughter   of   Thomas   Trenchard   about   1695.   His   four   sons   all   died   at an   early   age-Thomas   in   1699,   John   and   Robert   in   1701   and   George   in 1702,   but   his   three   daughters   Mary   and   twins   Frances   and   Elizabeth survived him. He died on 3 February, 1704.                 19.    Mary,    Frances    and    Elizabeth    Turberville.    Daughters    and coheiresses   of   their   father   Thomas   (18).   Mary   married   Major   William Duckett   in   1721,   and   died   in   1749.   In   the   churchwardens'   accounts   the rates   of   parochial   duties   customarily   received   from   the   lord   of   the manor   are,   after   1704,   attributed   to   "The   Widow   &   Coheirs   of   Esqr Turberville".   Neither   of   the   twins   Frances   and   Elizabeth   married   and they   were   never   known   to   have   lived   apart.   They   (including   their   sister Mary)   sold   the   manor   to   Henry   Drax   in   1733   and   later   the   twins   moved to   London,   probably   in   1739   on   the   death   of   their   mother.   They   died within   a   day   or   two   of   each   other,   aged   77,   at   Pursers   Cross,   Fulham, and   were   buried   together   at   Putney   on   the   same   day   in   February, 1780. And   so   ends   the   Turberville   saga.   Although   in   the   foregoing   notes   the name   has   been   spelt   Turberville-as   used   by   later   members   of   the family-in   earlier   times   when   spelling   was   as   individual   a   matter   as handwriting,   it   appeared   in   a   variety   of   forms:   Turbervill   and   Turbelvill (1186),    de    Turbvill    (1202),    Thorberisle    (1297),    Townberfyld    (1552), Turbervyle (1559) and other variants. Below   you   can   see   2   more   Turberville   Coat   of   Arms;   both   for   Thomas Turberville (Goldsborough (l) & Knight (r)) From   early   times   the   Turberville   family   as   lords   of   the   manor   used   the south   aisle   of   the   church   as   their   family   chapel,   and   were   buried   in   the vault   beneath   it.   They   were   probably   responsible   for   the   14th   century rebuilding    and    enlargement    of    the    aisle,    some    parts    of    which    still remain.   There   are   two   canopied   altar   tombs   of   the   16th   century,   the brasses    of    which    situated    in    the    south    aisle    and    are    undoubtedly Turberville   memorials.   The   floor   slabs   which   exist,   and   those   that   are known   to   have   previously   existed   have   already   been   dealt   with   under the   notes   on   the   individuals   concerned,   but   there   is   a   large   stone   floor slab   some   7   feet   (2.1m)   by   3ft.   6in.   (1.05m)   bearing   this   inscription   in incised Roman lettering: OSTIUM SEPULCHRI ANTIQUAE FAMILIAE TURBERVILLE 24 JUNIIl, 1710 DOOR OF THE SEPULCHRE OF THE ANCIENT FAMILY OF THE TURBERVILLES Robert   Turberville,   younger   brother   of   Thomas   (18)   the   last   lord   of   the manor,   seems   to   have   outlived   his   brother   and   was   probably   the   last to be buried in the family vault in 1710. Perhaps    the    extinct    Turbervilles    of    Bere    Regis    owe    much    of    the interest    subsequently    taken    in    them    to    Hardy's    novel    Tess    of    the D'Urbervilles   which   has   already   been   referred   to.   In   the   novel,   Tess's father,   John   Durbeyfield,   a   poor   north   Dorset   carrier,   is   told   by   his vicar   who   had   been   studying   the   derivation   of   surnames,   that   the name   Durbeyfield   had   probably   derived   from   D'Urberville   (the   fictitious form   of   Turberville)   and   that   he   is   probably   a   descendant   of   that   once powerful   Kingsbere   (Bere   Regis)   family. This   thought   so   intrigues   John Durbeyfield   and   his   family   that   they   become   convinced   that   they   have some   real   affinity   with   the   D'Urbervilles   in   their   "gr't   family   vault   at Kingsbere,"   and   go   to   Kingsbere   with   a   vague   idea   of claiming    some    sort    of    inheritance.    This    idea    in    the novel   is   based   on   actual   instances   where   the   names   of once   powerful   but   now   extinct   families   have   persisted in    corrupt    form.    In    fact,    in    the    middle    of    the    19th century   there   was   a   poor   family   of   Torevilles   living   in Bere   Regis,   one   of   whom,   believing   himself   to   be   a rightful    heir    of    the    Turbervilles,    was    said    to    have insisted on calling himself "Sir John". There   is   a   tradition   concerning   the   bricked   up   doorway   in   the   south wall   of   the   south   aisle   of   the   church.   It   is   said   that   a   Turberville   when lord   of   the   manor   had   a   difference   of   opinion   on   some   matter   with   the vicar   at   the   time,   and   as   a   result   vowed   that   he   would   never   again enter   the   church   doors.   But   they   later   became   reconciled,   and   the   lord of   the   manor,   in   order   to   resume   his   attendance   at   church   and   at   the same   time   not   to   break   his   vow,   arranged   for   a   new   door   opening   to be   made.   More   probably   the   opening   was   a   "mason's   door",   made   as a temporary opening to facilitate some extensive building work.