Bere Regis Village, Dorset
 
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website

The Ancient History of the Village

Click / tap image to enlarge
TOWARDS   2500   BC   less   primitive   people   began   arriving   in   southern   England   from   Europe,   and   this   heralded   the   beginning   of   the   Neolithic   or   New Stone   Age.   These   immigrants   were   far   more   advanced   than   the   Palaeolithic   inhabitants   already   living   here,   for   the   newcomers practised   a   primitive   form   of   agriculture,   and   brought   with   them   domesticated   livestock   and   seed.   Their   stone   implements,   which included   agricultural   tools   as   well   as   weapons,   were   much   more   highly   finished,   being   often   ground   and   polished. These   Neolithic people were also able to make pottery, and their way of life enabled them to live in more permanent settlements. Some   of   the   more   noticeable   remains   of   this   period   are   the   large   burial   mounds   or   long   barrows.   There   was   until   recently   a   very fine   long   barrow   on   Roke   Down   but   it   has   now   unfortunately   been   totally   destroyed   and   ploughed   over. You   can   see   its   location   at point 1 in the drawing below. It   was   formerly   considered   one   of   the   best   in   Dorset,   and   of   imposing   dimensions,   being   190   feet   (57   metres)   long,   40   feet (12   metres)   wide,   and   an   average   of   8   feet   (21   metres)   high.   Another   barrow,   shown   at   point   2   on   the   drawing   above,   is designated   a   long   barrow   on   current   Ordnance   maps,   but   its   shape   is   indistinct,   and   it   may   be   a   round   barrow   of   later date. Three   Neolithic   axe   heads   are   recorded   as   having   been   found   in   this   parish.   The   first   was   found   at   an   unspecified   spot   in the river at Bere Regis in 1896, and is an axe head of green stone. Look at the drawing of it below... Owing   to   the   comparative   softness   of   the   stone   its   original   ground   and   polished   surface   has   become   extensively   pitted   by years   of   weathering.   The   second,   a   polished   flint   axe   head   was   found   in   about   1907   at   Bere   Heath   Farm.   Look   at   the drawing of it below... Being   of   hard   flint,   its   original   polished   surface   remains,   but   the   butt   end   has   at   some   time   been   broken.   The   third   axe head   was   found   in   about   1951   in   a   field   near   Philliols   Farm,   and   is   of   flint,   5j   in.   (137   mm)   long.   Its   shape   is   very   similar   to that of later bronze axeheads indicating that it is of late Neolithic date.
 Neolithic axe head A polished flint axe head
The Neolithic Period  2500 BC (New Stone Age) - 1900 BC
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website

The Ancient History of the Village

The Neolithic Period  New Stone Age - 2500 BC to 1900 BC
TOWARDS   2500   BC   less   primitive   people   began   arriving   in   southern England   from   Europe,   and   this   heralded   the   beginning   of   the   Neolithic or   New   Stone Age.   These   immigrants   were   far   more advanced   than   the   Palaeolithic   inhabitants   already living   here,   for   the   newcomers   practised   a   primitive form     of     agriculture,     and     brought     with     them domesticated     livestock     and     seed.     Their     stone implements,   which   included   agricultural   tools   as   well as   weapons,   were   much   more   highly   finished,   being often   ground   and   polished.   These   Neolithic   people   were   also   able   to make    pottery,    and    their    way    of    life    enabled    them    to    live    in    more permanent settlements. Some   of   the   more   noticeable   remains   of   this   period   are   the   large burial   mounds   or   long   barrows.   There   was   until   recently   a   very   fine long   barrow   on   Roke   Down   but   it   has   now   unfortunately   been   totally destroyed   and   ploughed   over. You   can   see   its   location   at   point   1   in   the drawing below. It   was   formerly   considered   one   of   the   best   in Dorset,   and   of   imposing   dimensions,   being 190    feet    (57    metres)    long,    40    feet    (12 metres)   wide,   and   an   average   of   8   feet   (21 metres)   high. Another   barrow,   shown   at   point 2   on   the   drawing   above,   is   designated   a   long barrow   on   current   Ordnance   maps,   but   its shape   is   indistinct,   and   it   may   be   a   round barrow of later date. Three   Neolithic   axe   heads   are   recorded   as   having   been   found   in   this parish.   The   first   was   found   at   an   unspecified   spot   in   the   river   at   Bere Regis   in   1896,   and   is   an   axe   head   of   green   stone.   Look   at   the   drawing of it below... Owing    to    the    comparative    softness    of    the stone     its     original     ground     and     polished surface    has    become    extensively    pitted    by years   of   weathering.   The   second,   a   polished flint   axe   head   was   found   in   about   1907   at Bere Heath Farm. Look at the drawing of it below... Being    of    hard    flint,    its    original    polished surface    remains,    but    the    butt    end    has    at some   time   been   broken.   The   third   axe   head was    found    in    about    1951    in    a    field    near Philliols   Farm,   and   is   of   flint,   5j   in.   (137   mm) long.   Its   shape   is   very   similar   to   that   of   later bronze   axeheads   indicating   that   it   is   of   late Neolithic date.
 Neolithic axe head A polished flint axe head