Bere Regis Village, Dorset
 
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website
Click / tap images to enlarge

Bere Regis Village

Geld Rolls 978 -

1086

From   the   time   of   Ethelred   (978   -   1016)   most   of   England   was   subject   to   a   tax   called   Danegeld,   for   which   purpose   Geld   Rolls   were   compiled   and   the tax   was   collected   annually   until   1084.   At   this   time   each   County   was   divided   into   large   administrative   areas   called Hundreds and at the time of the Domesday Survey (1086) there were 39 of such Hundreds in Dorset. These   Hundreds   were   much   larger   than   the   present   day   civil   parishes   of   which   there   are   now   some   270   in   Dorset   and   the Hundred   of   Bere   (there   was   no   'Regis'   at   this   time)   in   1086   consisted   of   the   present   day   parishes   of   Bere   Regis   &   Winterborne   Kingston,   Milborne Stileham   and   Milborne   Deverel,   being   those   parts   of   the   present   Milborne   St.   Andrew   parish   east   of   the   stream.   Affpuddle   and   Turnerspuddle parishes,   Bovington   being   that   part   of   Wool   parish   north   of   the   river   Frome.   The   part   of   East   Stoke   parish   north   of   the   Frome,   Worgret,   being   that part of the present Arne-Stoborough parish east of Wareham and north of the Frome and a small portion of Wareham Lady St. Mary parish. Thus   it   can   be   seen   that   the   whole   of   the   southern   boundary   of   the   hundred   was   formed   by   the   river   Frome   with   a   kind   of   peninsula   projecting   as far   as   Wareham,   bounded   by   the   two   rivers   Piddle   &   Frome.   The   neighbouring   Hundreds   were   Puddletown   on   the   west,   Coomsditch   on   the   north and east and Chalbury, Winfrith and Hasler on the south. See the Map of the Bere Hundred in 1086 below.    The   hundreds   continued   to   form   the   basis   for   all   official   surveys   and   lists   until   comparatively   recent   years,   at   least   until   about   1880,   but   they underwent   many   boundary   changes   during   this   time.   For   example,   the   original   Bere   Hundred   became   divided   into   two   when   the   southern   portion seceded,   as   it   were,   and Affpuddle,   Turnerspuddle,   Shitterton   and   Hyde,   besides   Bovington   and   parts   of   East   Stoke   became   Barrow   Hundred.   It   is perhaps   of   interest   that   of   all   the   Dorset   place   names   occurring   in   the   Domesday   survey,   only   two,   Frome   (Vauchurch)   and   Bere   are   spelt   as   at   the present time. From   early   Saxon   times,   certain   manors   belonged   exclusively   to   the   Crown   without   an   intervening   tenant   or   sub-tenants   and   were   known   as   Royal Demesne.   There   were   about   30   of   such   manors   in   Dorset   and   Bere   was   one   of   them. As   Royal   Manors   they   did   not   come   under   the   jurisdiction   of the   Hundreds   and   were   not   of   course   liable   to   tax,   so   that   they   are   not   listed   individually   in   either   the   Geld   Rolls   or   the   Domesday   Survey,   but   are dealt   with   collectively   in   six   groups.   These   six   groups   of   Royal   Demesne   are   in   neither   alphabetical   nor   geographical   sequence,   as   Bere   occurs   in the   second   group   together   with   Bridetone   (Burton   Bradstock),   Colesberie   (part   of   Sturminster   Newton),   Sepetone   (Shipton   Gorge),   Bratepolle (Badpole), Cidihoc (Chideock) and parts of Whitchurch Canonicorum and Kingston Russell. In   both   the   Geld   Rolls   and   the   Domesday   Survey   the   main   unit   of   area   used   is   the   Hide.   It   was   not   strictly   a   measurement   of   area,   but   meant   rather a   farmstead   unit   and   was   a   sufficient   amount   of   land   to   employ   a   team   of   oxen.   The   Hide   was   subdivided   into   four   virgates   or   48   acres   (i.e.   1   Hide =   4   Virgates   and   1   Virgate   =   12   Acres).   As   the   area   of   the   hide   seems   to   have   varied   from   Hundred   to   Hundred,   there   is   no   exact   modern equivalent,   but   it   is   usually   taken   as   equal   to   about   120   modern   acres   (48   hectares). A   Domesday   acre   is   thus   seen   to   be   approximately   a   hectare. The   Hundreds   were   probably   originally   so   called   because   they   contained   100   Hides   or   Farmsteads   and   would   account   for   the   larger   size   of   those Hundreds which contained large areas of uncultivated heathland, as such unused areas were neither scheduled nor taxed. It   may   be   supposed   that   the   Royal   Manor   was   of   about   the   same   extent   at   the   time   of   the   Domesday   Survey   as   in   the   18th   Century   for   which   there is   an   accurate   Map,   but   in   former   times   it   does   not   appear   to   have   included   at   least   a   part   of   Doddings.   In   the   following   extract   from   the   Geld   Roll, translated from the original Latin, the 49 1/4 Hides referred to do not include the Royal Manor: XV.   Bere   Hundred.   In   Bere   Hundred   there   are   49   hides   and   1   virgate.   Thence   the   King   has   £9.8s   (£9.40)   for   31   hides   and   1   virgate   and   the   Kings Barons   have   in   Demesne   17   hides   less   1   virgate.   Of   this   Demesne   the   Count   of   Mortain   has   1   hide   and   Hugh   Gosbert   1   virgate   and Aiulf   1   hide. Alvric   the   Huntsman   2   hides.   The Abbot   of   Milton   1   hide.   Godric   the   priest   4   hides   less   10   acres.   The Abbot   of   Cerne   4   hides.   The   son   of   Eurebold 2   hides. And   from   1   1/2   hide   which   Osmund   holds   of   Swain   the   King   did   not   have   Geld   and   from   1/2   hide   which   Walter   Tonitrwet   holds   of   the   wife of   Hugh   the   King   never   had   Geld   and   from   1/2   hide   of   land   which   was   Theguland   T.R.E   (in   the   time   of   King   Edward)   and   is   now   in   the   Kings   Farm the King never had Geld and from 1 1/2 virgates which Edwin the huntsman has in this hundred he paid Geld in another. The   Geld   Rolls   and   collection   of   Geld   continued   after   the   Norman   Conquest   of   1066,   until   1084,   but   in   1086   King   William   ordered   a   new   more detailed Survey of his newly acquired Kingdom, the Domesday Survey.
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website
Click / tap images to enlarge

Bere Regis Village

Geld Rolls 978 -

1086

From   the   time   of   Ethelred   (978   -   1016)   most   of   England   was   subject   to a   tax   called   Danegeld,   for   which   purpose   Geld   Rolls   were   compiled and   the   tax   was   collected   annually   until   1084. At   this   time   each   County   was   divided   into large    administrative    areas    called    Hundreds and    at    the    time    of    the    Domesday    Survey (1086) there were 39 of such Hundreds in Dorset. These   Hundreds   were   much   larger   than   the   present   day   civil   parishes of   which   there   are   now   some   270   in   Dorset   and   the   Hundred   of   Bere (there   was   no   'Regis'   at   this   time)   in   1086   consisted   of   the   present   day parishes   of   Bere   Regis   &   Winterborne   Kingston,   Milborne   Stileham and   Milborne   Deverel,   being   those   parts   of   the   present   Milborne   St. Andrew    parish    east    of    the    stream.    Affpuddle    and    Turnerspuddle parishes,   Bovington   being   that   part   of   Wool   parish   north   of   the   river Frome.   The   part   of   East   Stoke   parish   north   of   the   Frome,   Worgret, being    that    part    of    the    present    Arne-Stoborough    parish    east    of Wareham   and   north   of   the   Frome   and   a   small   portion   of   Wareham Lady St. Mary parish. Thus   it   can   be   seen   that   the   whole   of   the   southern   boundary   of   the hundred   was   formed   by   the   river   Frome   with   a   kind   of   peninsula projecting   as   far   as   Wareham,   bounded   by   the   two   rivers   Piddle   & Frome.   The   neighbouring   Hundreds   were   Puddletown   on   the   west, Coomsditch   on   the   north   and   east   and   Chalbury,   Winfrith   and   Hasler on the south. See the Map of the Bere Hundred in 1086 below.    The   hundreds   continued   to   form   the   basis   for   all   official   surveys   and lists   until   comparatively   recent   years,   at   least   until   about   1880,   but they    underwent    many    boundary    changes    during    this    time.    For example,   the   original   Bere   Hundred   became   divided   into   two   when   the southern   portion   seceded,   as   it   were,   and   Affpuddle,   Turnerspuddle, Shitterton    and    Hyde,    besides    Bovington    and    parts    of    East    Stoke became   Barrow   Hundred.   It   is   perhaps   of   interest   that   of   all   the   Dorset place    names    occurring    in    the    Domesday    survey,    only    two,    Frome (Vauchurch) and Bere are spelt as at the present time. From   early   Saxon   times,   certain   manors   belonged   exclusively   to   the Crown   without   an   intervening   tenant   or   sub-tenants   and   were   known as   Royal   Demesne.   There   were   about   30   of   such   manors   in   Dorset and   Bere   was   one   of   them. As   Royal   Manors   they   did   not   come   under the   jurisdiction   of   the   Hundreds   and   were   not   of   course   liable   to   tax,   so that   they   are   not   listed   individually   in   either   the   Geld   Rolls   or   the Domesday   Survey,   but   are   dealt   with   collectively   in   six   groups.   These six    groups    of    Royal    Demesne    are    in    neither    alphabetical    nor geographical   sequence,   as   Bere   occurs   in   the   second   group   together with    Bridetone    (Burton    Bradstock),    Colesberie    (part    of    Sturminster Newton),    Sepetone    (Shipton    Gorge),    Bratepolle    (Badpole),    Cidihoc (Chideock)    and    parts    of    Whitchurch    Canonicorum    and    Kingston Russell. In   both   the   Geld   Rolls   and   the   Domesday   Survey   the   main   unit   of   area used   is   the   Hide.   It   was   not   strictly   a   measurement   of   area,   but   meant rather   a   farmstead   unit   and   was   a   sufficient   amount   of   land   to   employ a   team   of   oxen.   The   Hide   was   subdivided   into   four   virgates   or   48 acres   (i.e.   1   Hide   =   4   Virgates   and   1   Virgate   =   12   Acres).   As   the   area of   the   hide   seems   to   have   varied   from   Hundred   to   Hundred,   there   is no   exact   modern   equivalent,   but   it   is   usually   taken   as   equal   to   about 120   modern   acres   (48   hectares). A   Domesday   acre   is   thus   seen   to   be approximately   a   hectare.   The   Hundreds   were   probably   originally   so called   because   they   contained   100   Hides   or   Farmsteads   and   would account   for   the   larger   size   of   those   Hundreds   which   contained   large areas   of   uncultivated   heathland,   as   such   unused   areas   were   neither scheduled nor taxed. It   may   be   supposed   that   the   Royal   Manor   was   of   about   the   same extent   at   the   time   of   the   Domesday   Survey   as   in   the   18th   Century   for which   there   is   an   accurate   Map,   but   in   former   times   it   does   not   appear to   have   included   at   least   a   part   of   Doddings.   In   the   following   extract from   the   Geld   Roll,   translated   from   the   original   Latin,   the   49   1/4   Hides referred to do not include the Royal Manor: XV.   Bere   Hundred.   In   Bere   Hundred   there   are   49   hides   and   1   virgate. Thence   the   King   has   £9.8s   (£9.40)   for   31   hides   and   1   virgate   and   the Kings    Barons    have    in    Demesne    17    hides    less    1    virgate.    Of    this Demesne   the   Count   of   Mortain   has   1   hide   and   Hugh   Gosbert   1   virgate and   Aiulf   1   hide.   Alvric   the   Huntsman   2   hides.   The   Abbot   of   Milton   1 hide.   Godric   the   priest   4   hides   less   10   acres.   The   Abbot   of   Cerne   4 hides.    The    son    of    Eurebold    2    hides.   And    from    1    1/2    hide    which Osmund   holds   of   Swain   the   King   did   not   have   Geld   and   from   1/2   hide which   Walter   Tonitrwet   holds   of   the   wife   of   Hugh   the   King   never   had Geld   and   from   1/2   hide   of   land   which   was   Theguland   T.R.E   (in   the time   of   King   Edward)   and   is   now   in   the   Kings   Farm   the   King   never   had Geld   and   from   1   1/2   virgates   which   Edwin   the   huntsman   has   in   this hundred he paid Geld in another. The   Geld   Rolls   and   collection   of   Geld   continued   after   the   Norman Conquest   of   1066,   until   1084,   but   in   1086   King   William   ordered   a   new more   detailed   Survey   of   his   newly   acquired   Kingdom,   the   Domesday Survey.
Full size image