Bere Regis Village, Dorset
 
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website

Village Archaeological Notes

full image
You will find below occasional Archaeological finds from Bere Regis Villagers in our Village... Note 1 In   about   2003,   a   small   stamped   brass   button   was   found,   during   gardening,   in   the   plot   behind   No.88   West   Street/Central   Stores.   The   button’s diameter   is   16.5mm   and   the   stamping   reads   "Jenkins   -   Bere   Regis".   Henry   Charles   Jenkins   was   a   tailor   at   the   beginning   of   his   trading   life,   so   the button almost certainly dates from between 1866 and 1889 as the description of tailor drops off his list of activities in the 1890s. Henry Charles Jenkins Born: unknown but probably between 1831 and 1841 Died: 27 February 1904 Place of business: No.12/13, North Street, Bere Regis Trade Directory entries between 1830 and 1939:- 1867 Henry Charles Jenkin, tailor 1871 Henry Charles Jenkins, tailor 1875 Henry Charles Jenkins, tailor 1880 Hy. Chas. Jenkins, tailor & woollen draper 1885 Henry Charles Jenkins, tailor, woollen draper, hatter, stationer & fancy goods dealer & Post Office. 1889 Henry Charles Jenkins, tailor, woollen draper, hatter, stationer & fancy goods dealer, assistant overseer & collector of rates, Post Office. 1898 Henry Charles Jenkins, grocer & stationer, assistant overseer & collector of rates, Post Office. 1903 Henry Charles Jenkins, grocer & stationer, assistant overseer & clerk to the Parish Council, Post Office. Note 2 In   1971   it   was   noticed   that   damp   was   penetrating   the   walls   of   the   church.   It   was   decided   that   to   solve   this   problem   to   dig   a   trench   around   the   outer walls   so   that   the   walls   could   dry   out.   This   long   term   solution   is   still   evident   and   was   successful.   During   the   digging   process   one   coin   was   found.   It was   a   penny   which   was   quite   worn,   but   had   the   distinctive   double-head   of   William   &   Mary   who   reigned   jointly   between   1689   and   1694.   The   wear suggests   that   it   was   lost   twenty   or   so   years   after   those   dates.   The   real   value   of   a   penny   in   about   1700   was   about   400   times   its   value   in   2000,   so about £1.66 in today's money. Brief summary of William and Mary's Reign William   III's   reign   had   its   origins   from   14 April   1687   when   King   James   II   granted   freedom   of   worship   in   England,   Scotland   and   Wales.   When   his   wife Mary   had   a   child   there   was   a   real   risk   she   would   be   raised   a   Catholic,   and   by   30   June   1688   Whig   leaders   invited   the   King's   son-in-law   William   of Orange   to   rule   the   UK.   James   II   took   flight   from   London   on   23   December   1688   as   William   of   Orange   entered   the   city.   Before   the   Whig   plan   could be sealed William III and Mary II were proclaimed joint monarchs of the UK and its colonies. On   30   June   1690   at   the   Battle   of   Beachy   Head   the   French   defeated   an   English   fleet   under   Admiral   Herbert,   Lord   Torrington,   then   the   next   day,   1 July,   the   Battle   of   the   Boyne   saw   William   III's   army   defeat   the   Catholic   pretender   James   II   and   his   French   army;   the   ex-King   returned   to   exile   in France.   The   Battle   of Aughrin   culminated   on   12   July   1691   with   William   and   Mary's   General   Ginkel   defeated   the   Irish   army   under   the   Earl   of   Lucan, then on 3 October 1691 Limerick surrendered to Ginkel after a siege, and this led to the Treaty of Limmerick. In   1692   William   and   Mary   sequestered   Pennsylvania   from   William   Penn   and   transferred   it   to   the   Governor   of   New   York,   Benjamin   Fletcher. Meanwhile   on   13   February   1692   the   Massacre   of   Glencoe   involved   the   Campbells   killing   every   member   of   the   MacDonald   clan   aged   under   70 years.   Then   on   24   July   1692   the   French   defeated   an   English   army   at   the   Battle   of   Steenkirken.   In   1693   William   III   initiated   the   "national   debt"   by borrowing   over   £1   million   from   the   Bank   of   England   to   fight   his   wars   with   various   European   states. The   BoE   received   a   charter   in   1694.   On   29   July 1693   the   French   beat   an   English   army   in   the   Battle   of   Neerwindon,   but   the   next   year   the   Royal   Navy   bombarded   the   ports   of   Dieppe,   Dunkirk   and Le   Havre.   In   September   1695   William   III's   forces   captured   Namur.   In   1696   an   Assassination   Plot   was   discovered   to   murder   William   III   and   Sir George   Barclay   and   Sir   John   Fenwick   were   hanged.   In   1697   on   30   September   the   Treaty   of   Ryswick   ended   the   'War   of   the   League   of   Augsburg' with   France   recognising   William   III   as   King   of   England,   Wales   &   Scotland   with   Anne   as   Heir-presumptive.   In   1698   the   English   authorities recognised   the   slave   trade,   opening   it   up   to   British   merchants,   leading   to   increased   trade,   then   the   founding   of   the   London   Stock   Exchange   in   the same   year. Also   in   1698   Thomas   Savery   invented   the   steam   engine   to   pump   water   out   of   coal   mines. Also   in   1698   Whitehall   Palace   burned   down. In   1701   Jethro   Tull   invented   the   seed   drill,   but   on   7   September   1701   war   clouds   returned   with   the   'War   of   the   Spanish   Succession'   with   England joining   the   alliance   of   Italy,   Holland   and   Savoy,   against   Spain   and   later   France.   William   III   died   on   8   March   1702,   aged   51,   after   falling   from   his horse, and he was succeeded by his sister-in-law Anne.
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website

Village Archaeological Notes

Click / tap image to enlarge   full image
You will find below occasional Archaeological finds from Bere Regis Villagers in our Village... Note 1 In    about    2003,    a    small    stamped    brass    button    was    found,    during gardening,   in   the   plot   behind   No.88   West   Street/Central   Stores.   The button’s   diameter   is   16.5mm   and   the   stamping   reads   "Jenkins   -   Bere Regis".   Henry   Charles   Jenkins   was   a   tailor   at   the   beginning   of   his trading   life,   so   the   button   almost   certainly   dates   from   between   1866 and   1889   as   the   description   of   tailor   drops   off   his   list   of   activities   in   the 1890s. Henry Charles Jenkins Born: unknown but probably between 1831 and 1841 Died: 27 February 1904 Place of business: No.12/13, North Street, Bere Regis Trade Directory entries between 1830 and 1939:- 1867 Henry Charles Jenkin, tailor 1871 Henry Charles Jenkins, tailor 1875 Henry Charles Jenkins, tailor 1880 Hy. Chas. Jenkins, tailor & woollen draper 1885   Henry   Charles   Jenkins,   tailor,   woollen   draper,   hatter,   stationer   & fancy goods dealer & Post Office. 1889   Henry   Charles   Jenkins,   tailor,   woollen   draper,   hatter,   stationer   & fancy    goods    dealer,    assistant    overseer    &    collector    of    rates,    Post Office. 1898   Henry   Charles   Jenkins,   grocer   &   stationer,   assistant   overseer   & collector of rates, Post Office. 1903   Henry   Charles   Jenkins,   grocer   &   stationer,   assistant   overseer   & clerk to the Parish Council, Post Office. Note 2 In   1971   it   was   noticed   that   damp   was   penetrating   the   walls   of   the church.   It   was   decided   that   to   solve   this   problem   to   dig   a   trench around   the   outer   walls   so   that   the   walls   could   dry   out.   This   long   term solution   is   still   evident   and   was   successful.   During   the   digging   process one   coin   was   found.   It   was   a   penny   which   was   quite   worn,   but   had   the distinctive   double-head   of   William   &   Mary   who   reigned   jointly   between 1689   and   1694.   The   wear   suggests   that   it   was   lost   twenty   or   so   years after   those   dates.   The   real   value   of   a   penny   in   about   1700   was   about 400 times its value in 2000, so about £1.66 in today's money. Brief summary of William and Mary's Reign William   III's   reign   had   its   origins   from   14   April   1687   when   King   James II   granted   freedom   of   worship   in   England,   Scotland   and   Wales.   When his   wife   Mary   had   a   child   there   was   a   real   risk   she   would   be   raised   a Catholic,   and   by   30   June   1688   Whig   leaders   invited   the   King's   son-in- law   William   of   Orange   to   rule   the   UK.   James   II   took   flight   from   London on   23   December   1688   as   William   of   Orange   entered   the   city.   Before the   Whig   plan   could   be   sealed   William   III   and   Mary   II   were   proclaimed joint monarchs of the UK and its colonies. On   30   June   1690   at   the   Battle   of   Beachy   Head   the   French   defeated an   English   fleet   under   Admiral   Herbert,   Lord   Torrington,   then   the   next day,   1   July,   the   Battle   of   the   Boyne   saw   William   III's   army   defeat   the Catholic    pretender    James    II    and    his    French    army;    the    ex-King returned   to   exile   in   France.   The   Battle   of   Aughrin   culminated   on   12 July   1691   with   William   and   Mary's   General   Ginkel   defeated   the   Irish army    under    the    Earl    of    Lucan,    then    on    3    October    1691    Limerick surrendered   to   Ginkel   after   a   siege,   and   this   led   to   the   Treaty   of Limmerick. In   1692   William   and   Mary   sequestered   Pennsylvania   from   William Penn    and    transferred    it    to    the    Governor    of    New    York,    Benjamin Fletcher.   Meanwhile   on   13   February   1692   the   Massacre   of   Glencoe involved   the   Campbells   killing   every   member   of   the   MacDonald   clan aged   under   70   years.   Then   on   24   July   1692   the   French   defeated   an English   army   at   the   Battle   of   Steenkirken.   In   1693   William   III   initiated the   "national   debt"   by   borrowing   over   £1   million   from   the   Bank   of England   to   fight   his   wars   with   various   European   states.   The   BoE received   a   charter   in   1694.   On   29   July   1693   the   French   beat   an English   army   in   the   Battle   of   Neerwindon,   but   the   next   year   the   Royal Navy    bombarded    the    ports    of    Dieppe,    Dunkirk    and    Le    Havre.    In September    1695    William    III's    forces    captured    Namur.    In    1696    an Assassination    Plot    was    discovered    to    murder    William    III    and    Sir George   Barclay   and   Sir   John   Fenwick   were   hanged.   In   1697   on   30 September   the   Treaty   of   Ryswick   ended   the   'War   of   the   League   of Augsburg'   with   France   recognising   William   III   as   King   of   England, Wales   &   Scotland   with Anne   as   Heir-presumptive.   In   1698   the   English authorities    recognised    the    slave    trade,    opening    it    up    to    British merchants,    leading    to    increased    trade,    then    the    founding    of    the London    Stock    Exchange    in    the    same    year.   Also    in    1698   Thomas Savery   invented   the   steam   engine   to   pump   water   out   of   coal   mines. Also    in    1698    Whitehall    Palace    burned    down.    In    1701    Jethro    Tull invented   the   seed   drill,   but   on   7   September   1701   war   clouds   returned with   the   'War   of   the   Spanish   Succession'   with   England   joining   the alliance   of   Italy,   Holland   and   Savoy,   against   Spain   and   later   France. William   III   died   on   8   March   1702,   aged   51,   after   falling   from   his   horse, and he was succeeded by his sister-in-law Anne.