Bere Regis Village, Dorset
 
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website Bere Regis Village website

Samuel Lewis 1831

Description of Bere

Regis

Here is how Samuel Lewis described the village in the 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England BEER   REGIS,   a   parish   in   the   hundred   of   Beer   Regis,   Blandford   (southern)   division   of   the   county   of   Dorset,   comprising   the   town   of   Beer   Regis,   and the   hamlets   of   Shitterton   and   Beer-Heath,   and   containing   1080   inhabitants,   of   which   number,   953   are   in   the   market   town   of   Beer   Regis,   7   miles (N.W.) from Wareham, and 113 (S.W.) from London. This   place,   which   is   supposed   by   Dr.   Stukeley   to   have   been   the   Ibernium   of   Ravennas,   derives   its   name   from   the   Saxon   Byrig,   and   the   adjunct from its having been held in royal demesne. Elfrida,   after   the   murder   of   her   stepson,   is   said   to   have   retired   hither   to   avoid   suspicion;   and   King   John,   who   occasionally   made   it   his   residence, granted   the   inhabitants   the   privilege   of   a   market,   in   the   17th   year   of   his   reign.   Edward   I.   made   this   a   free   borough,   but   it   does   not   appear   to   have ever returned any members to parliament. A   great   part   of   the   town   was   destroyed   by   fire   in   1634:   it   experienced   a   similar   calamity   in   1788;   and,   in   1817,   another   destructive   fire   occurred,   in which the parish registers were burnt. The   town   is   pleasantly   situated   on   the   small   river   Beer;   the   houses,   in   general,   are   modern   and   well   built,   and   the   inhabitants   are   amply   supplied with   water.   The   market   is   on   Wednesday:   a   fair   is   held,   Sept.   18th   and   the   four   following   days,   on   Woodbury   Hill,   for   horses,   horned   cattle,   sheep, cloth, and cheese. Constables and other officers for the internal regulation of the town, are appointed at the court leet of the lord of the manor. The   living,   which,   in   conjunction   with   Charmouth,   formerly   constituted   the   golden   prebend   in   the   Cathedral   Church   of   Salisbury,   and   is   now   a peculiar   belonging   to   the   Dean   of   Salisbury,   is   a   vicarage   in   the   diocese   of   Bristol,   rated   in   the   king’s   books   at   £25.   5.   0.,   and   in   the   patronage   of the   Master   and   Fellows   of   Balliol   College,   Oxford.   The   church,   dedicated   to   St.   John   the   Baptist,   is   a   spacious   ancient   structure,   with   a   square embattled   tower   crowned   with   pinnacles.   There   are   places   of   worship   for   Independents   and   Wesleyan   Methodists;   and   that   for   the   Independents has an endowment of £18 per annum. A   charity   school   was   founded   and   endowed   by   Thomas   Williams   Esq.,   and   further   endowed   by   the   Rev.   Thomas   Williams   for   two   additional scholars.   In   1773,   the   Rev.   Henry   Fisher   bequeathed   £100   to   this   institution:   the   master   has   a   salary   of   £10   per   annum,   with   a   house   and   garden. On   Woodbury   hill,   about   half   a   mile   from   the   town,   there   is   a   circular   camp,   comprehending   an   area   of   ten   acres;   and   to   the   west   of   it   are   the   site   of the ancient chapel of Sancta Anchoretta, and a well called Anchoret’s well. Dr.   John   Moreton, Archbishop   of   Canterbury,   and   a   cardinal,   who   also   distinguished   himself   in   the   wars,   and   projected   the   union,   of   the   houses   of York and Lancaster; and Dr. Tuberville, Bishop of Exeter in 1555; were natives of this place.
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.
Bere Regis Village
Bere Regis Village Website

Samuel Lewis 1831

Description of Bere

Regis

Here    is    how    Samuel    Lewis    described    the    village    in    the    1831 Topographical Dictionary of England BEER    REGIS,    a    parish    in    the    hundred    of    Beer    Regis,    Blandford (southern)   division   of   the   county   of   Dorset,   comprising   the   town   of Beer    Regis,    and    the    hamlets    of    Shitterton    and    Beer-Heath,    and containing   1080   inhabitants,   of   which   number,   953   are   in   the   market town   of   Beer   Regis,   7   miles   (N.W.)   from   Wareham,   and   113   (S.W.) from London. This    place,    which    is    supposed    by    Dr.    Stukeley    to    have    been    the Ibernium   of   Ravennas,   derives   its   name   from   the   Saxon   Byrig,   and   the adjunct from its having been held in royal demesne. Elfrida,   after   the   murder   of   her   stepson,   is   said   to   have   retired   hither   to avoid    suspicion;    and    King    John,    who    occasionally    made    it    his residence,   granted   the   inhabitants   the   privilege   of   a   market,   in   the 17th   year   of   his   reign.   Edward   I.   made   this   a   free   borough,   but   it   does not appear to have ever returned any members to parliament. A   great   part   of   the   town   was   destroyed   by   fire   in   1634:   it   experienced a    similar    calamity    in    1788;    and,    in    1817,    another    destructive    fire occurred, in which the parish registers were burnt. The   town   is   pleasantly   situated   on   the   small   river   Beer;   the   houses,   in general,   are   modern   and   well   built,   and   the   inhabitants   are   amply supplied   with   water.   The   market   is   on   Wednesday:   a   fair   is   held,   Sept. 18th   and   the   four   following   days,   on   Woodbury   Hill,   for   horses,   horned cattle, sheep, cloth, and cheese. Constables   and   other   officers   for   the   internal   regulation   of   the   town, are appointed at the court leet of the lord of the manor. The   living,   which,   in   conjunction   with   Charmouth,   formerly   constituted the   golden   prebend   in   the   Cathedral   Church   of   Salisbury,   and   is   now   a peculiar    belonging    to    the    Dean    of    Salisbury,    is    a    vicarage    in    the diocese   of   Bristol,   rated   in   the   king’s   books   at   £25.   5.   0.,   and   in   the patronage   of   the   Master   and   Fellows   of   Balliol   College,   Oxford.   The church,    dedicated    to    St.    John    the    Baptist,    is    a    spacious    ancient structure,    with    a    square    embattled    tower    crowned    with    pinnacles. There     are     places     of     worship     for     Independents     and     Wesleyan Methodists;   and   that   for   the   Independents   has   an   endowment   of   £18 per annum. A   charity   school   was   founded   and   endowed   by   Thomas   Williams   Esq., and   further   endowed   by   the   Rev.   Thomas   Williams   for   two   additional scholars.   In   1773,   the   Rev.   Henry   Fisher   bequeathed   £100   to   this institution:   the   master   has   a   salary   of   £10   per   annum,   with   a   house and   garden.   On   Woodbury   hill,   about   half   a   mile   from   the   town,   there is   a   circular   camp,   comprehending   an   area   of   ten   acres;   and   to   the west   of   it   are   the   site   of   the   ancient   chapel   of   Sancta   Anchoretta,   and a well called Anchoret’s well. Dr.   John   Moreton, Archbishop   of   Canterbury,   and   a   cardinal,   who   also distinguished   himself   in   the   wars,   and   projected   the   union,   of   the houses   of   York   and   Lancaster;   and   Dr.   Tuberville,   Bishop   of   Exeter   in 1555; were natives of this place.